Open World Game Design Process and Execution

Hello there, I’ve been spending most of my time building showcases here and there and I’m really intrigued and interested in creating a full open world games. Now I’m not sure yet what the game will be based around but I was looking at a more down to earth concept like the Far Cry series.

Now the issue I’m having is a efficient and useful way to plan and create a open world map, terrain tools are useful but a bit more dexterous for larger maps and I don’t think it’d be feasible at this rate. I was wondering if anyone has some advice on how to plan and create these open world games maps.

Factors that I need more advice on:

• Planning of a open world game.
  • How to create a large open world map to a high level of quality.
  • Which is more optimal for a build of this kind in terms of the landscape? (Meshes, terrain or parts?)
  • (Optional) How to create a story or narrative within a large open world game.

Thank you in advance as this’ll be very helpful to me and hopefully others looking to make a similar style of game!
Kind regards,
Lolaphobia

10 Likes

I’ve asked a somewhat similar question. Although this doesn’t fully answer your question, its relevant to what you’re trying to achieve at the end of the day:

2 Likes

I’ve came across this exact same dilemma and although I have not quite finished my game yet (which is not even 10% done), I was able to map out what I need to do in order to make my open world game.

When starting a plan, you need a source of inspiration which can be either an existing idea or a completely unique idea. Personally, inspiration is not easy to find, it can take days, weeks, months and even a year until it hits you. I started with writing down thoughts, saving images that would inspire me, drawing concepts, reading books (although im not a fan of reading books, it actually helps a lot) and trial and error. After a year (im serious), I finally came up with a concept that I really liked and it now serves as my guide in making the overall design of my game (as shown below).

Before worrying about the details, you should complete the basics of your game such as buildings and roads etc. After you feel like these are complete, you may now start adding more details. Optimization is everything in open world games

It really depends on your game. If you are making a forest type world, terrain would be best. If you are making a cartoon type world, meshes would be best. Parts are much better than meshes in my opinion, but if you are willing to go the extra mile, then why not.

I’m not quite sure with this, but if you are trying to create something like Minecraft Story Mode, then you would first need to accomplish a story synopsis so you would at least have a guide when porting the story into Roblox, next would be the map and its details, then the assets used in the story (characters, gui objects, tools, vehicles, sounds) and last would be the scripting.

I hope this helps :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Everything @wevetments said, and this too:

Large open world games are best when the map is not exactly focal around one area (e.g. one city, one castle) but around multiple areas (e.g. a derelict town on one end of the map, a forest on another, a castle on another, etc.) Of course, this is all dependent on the size of your map; I wouldn’t recommend making the map too cluttered.

Examples of large maps with multiple foci may be:

• Kingdom Come: Deliverance (notice the positional importance of the river; it forces players to explore the world to meander around it.)
  • Eastshade (again, this river is completely fundamental in player exploration.)
  • Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (here, the castle is the only really large part of the map, but as the castle is large enough, it has its own focal points within. I don’t know if you’ve played this game, but the map itself is dichotomised by a very large viaduct. Again, setting the map asunder forces exploration.)

Ultimately, the number of focal areas your game commands relies on its size as previously mentioned.

Creating this world is a different matter and you should always remember that no matter how hard you try, all forms of terrain (be it Roblox’s terrain system, meshes, or bricks) produce lag in excess, although they do not produce lag fundamentally. It could be an idea to have a mixture, i.e. you want a detailed slope with rocks jutting out, so use meshes, but for the rolling hills behind, use Roblox grass coloured the same as the mesh grass. Remember that inconsistency can make a game appear more natural when done right, and is ultimately a show of building prowess.

Regarding storylines, I haven’t actually played Far Cry so I would be unable to comment on how to make a storyline like it. Essentially, storylines that force you to explore the world in the form of side quests, etc. are a good idea. If you have a main quest/plot/storyline, I’d just do what you’re comfortable with and what you’ve planned.

Side note: I’d recommend watching this video. As well as being an informative critique on fast travel, it could also be of some help in your formulation of a world.

Good luck!

7 Likes