False crash errors?

I’ve been getting these crash popups from Studio on a frequent basis, but the odd thing is that Studio didn’t actually crash. I can select the Studio window and continue to use it indefinitely. Once it pops up and you ignore it and keep using Studio, you don’t seem to get more of them. Every time it’s happened to me I’ve been going from Edit mode to in-window Play Solo. It doesn’t happen 100% of the time (although it’s frequent enough to happen within 10 minutes of using Studio every time I use it), this is the last thing in the output before the popup appears:

07:36:50.466 - StartProcessException…

Gif of crash notification (you can see Studio is still running in the background):

I guess it could also be an autosaving thing since Studio autosaves whenever you go into play solo, but I doubt it because I have my autosave interval set to one minute and if I leave Studio idle for half an hour it will continue autosaving with no crashes at all. I don’t know how the logs work, but here’s what I assume is the crash info:

Wouldn’t let me attach the dump file, so I uploaded it to google docs:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7daNr0GZMLyOXh2VGpPTl9QRlE/view?usp=sharing

3 Likes

Can confirm. Studio “crashes” (but not really!) most frequently when I use Play Solo.

Happened with me to :3

I can agree, I sometimes get them.

Got it like 3 times tonight. It’s really irritating.

It seems to crash when datastores fail or something. I noticed my players researched ships are not loaded when the crash message appears. I am investigating further.

Edit:
This always shows when I get the crash message:

03:48:20.729 - HTTP 403 (HTTP/1.1 403 XSRF Token Validation Failed)
03:48:20.729 - Script 'ServerScriptService.ServerChatScript', Line 57
03:48:20.729 - Stack End

Which is this code:

getRank = DataStore:GetAsync("player_"..tostring(player.userId))

Just adding pcall around the datastore stops it from showing the crash message, but doesn’t load the data.

Edit 2:
Nope, still crashing.

[quote] It seems to crash when datastores fail or something. I noticed my players researched ships are not loaded when the crash message appears. I am investigating further.

Edit:
This always shows when I get the crash message:

03:48:20.729 - HTTP 403 (HTTP/1.1 403 XSRF Token Validation Failed)
03:48:20.729 - Script 'ServerScriptService.ServerChatScript', Line 57
03:48:20.729 - Stack End

Which is this code:

getRank = DataStore:GetAsync("player_"..tostring(player.userId))

Just adding pcall around the datastore stops it from showing the crash message, but doesn’t load the data.

Edit 2:
Nope, still crashing. [/quote]

Would you mind sending a repro place for this?

[quote]
Would you mind sending a repro place for this? [/quote]
How would I send it?

This is the place that I am editing when it happens

Just to clarify, if datastores are causing an issue for Semaphorism somehow, it’s not what’s causing my game to crash. I do not use datastores at all in the game pictured in the OP. That game is pretty much empty too – it’s just a start place for a upcoming universe. All it has is a couple of local scripts.

I’m getting the same DataStore error as Semaphorism with the GetAsync method.

Errors on the 2nd line, so it must be something with GetAsync

local Data_Hat = DataStore:GetDataStore("HatItems")
print(Data_Hat:GetAsync(key) == nil)

Have you been able to solve it, Semaphorism?

Edit: I’ve temp fixed it by putting this line in my onSpawn script.

(Happened when loading data)

if plr.Name == “Player1” then
wait(3)
end

Also this problem only happened when I did Start Server with 2 players

Nope, still having the issue, and can’t figure out what is causing it. I use pcall around all my datastore requests as well. And like I said, the http 403 always appears when it happens.

Good I’m not the only one! I’ve been getting this every 1/3 times I run a playtest. Yes my place tries to access a datastore.

If you press the Play-solo followed by the stop button in quick succession you can get a crash like the one described.

Started getting this crash again, googled “StartProcessException” and was brought right back to this thread :slight_smile:

It prints “StartProcessException” and I can keep playing until I click stop, at which point it hangs forever. Another developer gets the same crash in the team create place.

I can DM crash reports if necessary, the forums give an error when uploading dmp files so I can’t here.

1 Like

Please create a new bug report with the required supporting information. The root cause for this issue is likely fixed. Do not bump very old bug reports with new bugs that have similar symptoms.