Falsely DMCA striking with decals

As it stands, there is a significant issue with the DMCA process on ROBLOX. Although ROBLOX is committed to diligently reviewing these requests, the current system is not thorough enough to prevent abuse. This flaw allows users to falsely take down others’ accessories.

The exploit works as follows: if I upload a screenshot of my accessory and share it, for instance, on a Discord server, a malicious actor can take this screenshot and upload it as a decal on ROBLOX. They then file a DMCA request based on the decal they uploaded. Unfortunately, ROBLOX does not conduct a thorough investigation in these cases and often removes the original item. The original creator may counter the DMCA request, but this initiates a repetitive cycle. Once the counter-claim is filed, the bad actor requests ROBLOX to lift the DMCA. After two days, the bad actor files another DMCA request, perpetuating this cycle until one party gives up.

This DMCA abuse has led to a situation where users are being extorted for ROBUX under the threat of having their accessories repeatedly taken down.

Expected behavior

I expect for the DMCA process to looked at thoroughly and for users to not be taken down because of decals.

58 Likes

Lol a couple weeks ago my game was taken down without any warning because of a “DMCA strike from the original IP owner”. The day after they restored the game and say they would “verify the legitimacy of the claim”. The game is still up.
It’s absurd they take down anything before actually verifying the representative that sent the strike is legit. Randoms with nothing better to do can send fake dmca strikes with no consequences whatsoever and devs pay the price.

18 Likes

A good way to counter this is by adding a curse word to the image you’re sharing. This shouldn’t be a solution but until ROBLOX decides to fix their system, this is the best way to secure your assets.

9 Likes

There are individuals uploading decals of my work that I showcase to my community on my social media prior to uploading and actively hint towards falsely DMCA’ing me. And they planned on DMCA’ing me using made-up information and once I counter their DMCA they plan on doxxing / leaking my information aswell.

Image of an individual stating they have the ability to take down my accessories due to uploading an image of them prior to accessory being uploaded

Image of an individual stating they will be the first to get my private information and leak it after I counter their DMCA

Image of an individual admitting that their intent is for me to counter so they can get my personal information and leak it

Image of an individual admitting to using fake information so they will not be legally held accountable for lying under oath

This is an active and a massive issue for creators safety on Roblox

Not to mention that I know a few people who were being extorted out of Robux in order for the bad actors to stop DMCA’ing them.

50 Likes

Image editing softwares could get rid of it easily but smart though.

1 Like

upload the image beforehand, thats what dragonx does

1 Like

It has now been 2 months my holder account, my 4 alts got terminated with over 13 million robux. Roblox did not give 1 sh#t about it, this platform is just grtting worse and worse

8 Likes

Roblox should pause DMCA requests because it’s too dangerous for UGC Creators!

5 Likes

the fact that this is even possible is absolutely appalling, fix your stuff roblox.

1 Like

1st ugc items, now this? cmon :confused: