Fast Combat VFX

I’m working currently on an Anime RPG game and want to add Visual Effects to my character when they attack, stuff like wind around the fist. I’ve messed with some beams, particles and trails but I couldn’t get the exact effect that I wanted. Does anyone have any tips for me to create more exciting combat animations? I have a few punching and combo animations made already, plus some VFX meshes as well. So far nothing I’ve seen on the forum actually covers this either and It surprised me.

Here’s some of what I’ve created in my attempts.
Attack 1

Attack 2

Combo

Wind VFX

I know you’ve gotta script the effects onto the player in-game. I’m just concerned on what I can do to actually create the right effects and how to make them look better.

4 Likes

Arm positioning prob is too high, but overall combo is best you made.
So far if it will be used in-game leg movement wont be good feature, have fun on advancing in animations bud, you have some potential

1 Like

me in martial arts

Looks amazing, I suggest making the arms closer to the torso and making the winding up a little bit faster.

1 Like

The lower part movement is a bit off in some parts, would also look weird if the player was standing still, so if you keep the movement like that the player would have to be constantly moving forward during the combo to make it look natural.

• their arm looks dislocated
  • the arm’s are not connected to the torso
  • the torso rotation is not good

But overall very realistic animation, and good job :+1:

1 Like

I don’t know if you added this already but you should add an animation someone plays when they get hit. This makes any combat system look way better.

People talk about the arms being “not connected to the body” or as you said too high. I didn’t reposition any of the body, what yall see is where the R15 rig actually connects and how it rotates. I tried keeping the arms typically centered but I found a lot of limitations trying to do larger, flashy animations for a game when the arms of Roblox Characters are so stubby anyway. Is there any tips for possibly increasing that range of motion without it looking like the characters arms are coming off or their hips and body are flailing about?

You should move the upper arms too, not only rotate them since it has it’s limits, same goes for the upper legs don’t move them as much.

Try Using upper and lower torso, lean it, rotate it, it helps avoiding some stretchy situations like this if we can say so, experiment, thats all i can say.

I plan on really trying to get the hip or lower torso movements down. I’m a very picture it IRL type of guy so it’s a little weird getting used to the fact that the hip can straight up disconnect from the torso so-to speak. But I see a lot of really experienced animators taking full advantage of that. Thanks for the advice!