Faster Lua VM: Studio beta

So if I did something such as…

getfenv().print = 2

I would assume optimizations would be lost

What I am slightly confused by is if accessing a calling environment without making any changes such as

local env = getfenv(2)

will make the script lose optimizations.

It would be great if a script reading an env. table without ever writing to it was allowed to keep the optimizations. But as it’s been described, this is not the case.

1 Like

Will assigning a library’s member to a variable or table cause any issues? I’m currently storing all global functions inside a table to keep my code clean in non-performance critical scripts.

An example:

local global = {abs = math.abs}--will this in any way affect the next line?
local val = math.abs(-5)

Will this increase the speed of events like .touched as well?

1 Like

This update does not affect physics computations. It’s about improving performance of Lua code.

2 Likes

I’m getting an error when using ResetButtonCallback:

repro steps: open a baseplate, put a localscript in starterplayerscripts and use ResetButtonCallback:

game.StarterGui:SetCore("ResetButtonCallback", function()
	print "hello!"
end)

This is unrelated to the new VM, I’ll ping the engineer who implemented this.

1 Like

I temporarily disabled this error message locally and ran the code, it produces this output:

17:52:45.916 - ResetButtonCallback must be set to a BindableEvent or a boolean

The change unfortunately causes an error before we can get to this warning message, so when this situation happens it is less clear what actually went wrong.

2 Likes

I’d love to see games push this new VM to its limit.

1 Like

In the new Lua vm.
This way of calling a method in a Instance: Instance( method name )
How I used the method: game(“GetService”, “Players”)

Basically, another wall to call a method, but with more control and freedom.
Sadly, this was broken. Instead of the method doing what it is suppose to do. It errors.

attempt to call a userdata value

So, can we keep this feature. So that we don’t have to use loadstring or some other hidden methods of calling a method in Instance. Thanks!

I don’t think you have read the thread correctly. This wasn’t a feature at all it was a accidental result with their old __namecall.

I don’t believe they are going to be keeping it since it was purely accidental but who knows.

The way you propose is worlds hackier than proper solutions. I assume you mean dynamically calling methods (for whatever use case).

Try doing instance[method_name](instance, params...).
Like GetGlobals said, it was an accidental “feature”.

3 Likes

Thanks! I never knew that existed. Been looking around for an alternative.

Is there any way an exception could be made for things like getfenv(2).script? I believe that is by far the most common form of using getfenv or setfenv and in my opinion the most acceptable. The optimizations could be applied to a lot more existing code if getfenv(number).script didn’t disable the optimizations.

2 Likes

Approximate time for one cycle on my RTS (identical conditions):

• Pre-Luau: 0.0021 seconds
  • Luau V1: 0.0007-0.0009 seconds
  • Luau V2 (current): 0.0011-0.0013 seconds

It seems like V1 to V2 slowed down significantly for me, sadly. Still, it’s a massive improvement compared to before!

1 Like

What do you mean by V1? I don’t think there were any changes that could reduce performance.

Also, if you can share your script(s) with me privately we can take a look and see what we can improve further.

4 Likes

When production test run, take 2 was enabled, I noticed it was slower than before despite no changes on my part.

I’ll message you regarding sharing my scripts.

Hello, I forgot to ask at lunch yesterday, could the new Luau VM be enabled on the main Phantom Forces place? https://www.roblox.com/games/292439477/Sniper-Update-Phantom-Forces

All seems good in the test place.

Luau is currently enabled on all games.

See: Faster Lua VM: Production test run, take 2

Currently getting some odd results with the following code:

local t = tick();
repeat wait()
	local part = Instance.new('Part', game.ReplicatedStorage);

game:GetService('Debris'):AddItem(part, 3);

if (tick()-t > 3) then
		print(part);
		wait()
		print(part);