Faster Lua VM: Production test run, take 2

Quick heads up.

We are running the second full-scale production test of the new Lua VM. This time, the VM is true on both client and server (but not Studio) for all games. The issues from the previous test run have been fixed.

If you have missed the announcements this thread talks about the new VM and how to enable it in Studio
https://devforum.roblox.com/t/faster-lua-vm-studio-beta/

The test started on August 14th at 1 PM PST. Please let us know if any issues are observed in any games that are related to this update (please always mention the game link and a screenshot of script errors or a precise description of the incorrect behavior).

We don’t have an ETA for when the test will end - maybe it doesn’t! We’ll see how it goes :slight_smile:

edit oh also the new VM is called Luau with a lower case u.

edit The test has finished on August 16th at 4 PM PST. We have found a bug in compilation of closed values in repeat…until loops and disabled the VM to prevent adverse effects to games. We’ll do this again in a week or two!

96 Likes

Why is it called Luau? I am interested in that!

7 Likes

How are you supposed to pronounce Luau? Like “Lua yew”?

9 Likes

Has any changes been made to the new Lua VM since it was announced? Is it even faster? :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Sounds good! Hope to notice a nice smooth increase no matter how small. And as for what Sinister asked, Why is it called LuaU?

2 Likes

The pronunciation is roughly “Lu-ow”, it’s a single word.

edit Like this https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/pronunciation/english/luau

13 Likes

We have finished a few more performance improvements! But we are waiting for the mobile clients to catch up to the new version before enabling them. Stay tuned :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Lua ultimate? Love the name. Lua is ultimate, in my opinion. Anyway, I haven’t had any issues so far today.

EDIT: Just realized it was at 1 PM PST. It’s 4 PM here.

1 Like

By that do you mean el-wow or luh-wow?

Roughly the same pronounciation as a Hawaiian luau
“Lou-ow”

4 Likes

I think the obvious question from this is, if we’re releasing Luau, will all developers be getting a plate of Kalua pig when the test is over?

11 Likes

Just to help everyone out with the name :slight_smile:

17 Likes

Honestly can’t tell if this is even a joke or not

8 Likes

we should have “a luau” in RDC 2020 :sunglasses:

9 Likes

It’s not. They announced it at RDC and it’s on his Twitter.

5 Likes

This test run has once again caused issues with Hyptek’s admin system/AE (HYbRID) causing it to fail to load. Would it be possible to have the new VM disabled at the places listed in this post? Faster Lua VM: Production test run

During the last test run, in this game there were issues that resulted in some scripts failing to load on the client side. We have fixed that particular problem, and this time around no scripts fail to load on the client. The game seems to load and function fine? Please elaborate on what the issues are.

1 Like

This update seems nice, Can’t wait to see my game scripts run faster and smoother.
Also It’s obviously Lua uwu not l-wow… ( change my mind )

2 Likes

For those interested why its called Luau, I realized Arseny posted a tweet 2 days ago!

https://twitter.com/zeuxcg/status/1161101086314254336

2 Likes

It turns out a check was put in place to make sure it wasn’t running on the new VM to prevent the kicking issue stopping the whole thing from loading. It has now been tested without that check in place and I have been told everything works fine.

2 Likes