[FEEDBACK] Historical Graphics

I recently created a set of graphics and thumbnails set on the early-19th century during the Napoleonic Wars. If you do not know what the Napoleonic Wars are, then here is an explanation.

The Napoleonic Wars was a 12-year war that lasted from 1803 to 1815. The most iconic nations were Britain, Russia, and of course France. These were major conflicts led by Napoleon I. These wars were separated into 7 sections, all named after a coalition, for example, 1st Coalition, 2nd Coalition, and so on.

Anyway, let’s get onto the pictures. I know that the last one had an error, the texture couldn’t be fixed so ignore that. I would love to hear some feedback!

Applications I use in order of operation: Blender (For hats), ROBLOX Studio (Limb movement), Blender (Bending limbs and render), and lastly Pixlr (for effects).

pic6 pi5 pic4 pic3

4 Likes

They’re really good! One thing I would say is that the lighting appears inconsistent across the board and you might have gone a little overboard on the vignette. Additionally, in those photos the ‘world border’ is very evident, you might want to consider adding in some background elements so it doesn’t feel so empty.

1 Like

These are supposed to be on hills.

I agree that the vignette was too much. I also suggest that you choose a different filter, or manually tweak the colors yourself. The yellow ambient is there on the character, but not on the sky or grass, which makes a weird contrast. To nail the historical look, you should look into scratched paper mockups or film filters as well. GLHF!

Overall they look very good…

However, the grass for me isn’t doing it, it seems a little bit too dark in my opinion.

Some of the yellow on the character kinda throws off the whole oldy type of vibe I feel here.

In the first couple, the sky looks a little bit off to be pictured with the grass. (The grass is dark, while the sky is light blue almost like a sunny day, it just doesn’t look right to me)

However, I wish you all the best in making these and they look very good!

Lighting is a bit plain over the whole render and grass seems unnatural, other than that it’s great.

Your poses are very well done, and I do like your character design. The outfits flow nicely and the guns look proportionate to the avatars! You had done a phenomenal job with texturing and modeling the hats and the feather plumes look good. The last two images have my favorite hats. Those look amazing. Well done :smile:

With that being said, here are a few things that you can improve on:

I can see where you’re going with this, but for an outdoor scene, the shadows behind the characters are too dark. Since your sky shows that it’s mid-day, I think the lighting should be less warm, and The lighting looks like it’s sunset, even though it’s not, and the light should be going downwards, but not straight down because of France’s geographic latitude. The grass around the characters is too dark, and it looks like you’re using a point lamp or a spot lamp rather than a sun lamp. For your last image, I personally think the lamp is a little bit too bright. Lastly, the shading under the soldier’s hat’s look strange, and there’s light clipping through the hat, and then there’s shadows below it on the second to last image.

If you want to go above and beyond, you should make it sepia with photograph noise.

I hope this helps :happy1:

1 Like

I never thought about geographic latitude, but that makes everything more realistic. Thanks!

1 Like