Feedback on a game map

Keep in mind after rendering the whole map once, you only need to update one edge of it, once the player moves. Just shift the positions of the other frames. Performance is actually not that bad, I’ve tried this in my own game.

In that case I can get the same function out of pre-rendering it and moving the frames, and save a lot of processing at the same time.

When @ScriptOn said “dynamic,” it seemed to me he was referring to including moving objects, which would require raycasting every frame.

One thing I should mention is that this isn’t for the in-game map; that will probably be much more stylized and prerendered using raycasts. I know where all dynamic objects are going to be in my map, and which I want to render and which I don’t.

@Lilly_S: Yeah, I agree. I don’t think everything is exactly to scale in this map, though; it’s just a reference for builders. We will probably have to adjust. Oh, you’re looking at the regional map. That sizing has to do with player density; each region will be on a different server so you’ll need a teleport to go between each region. If a city seems like it’d have very few people, its region can include its outskirts a bit.

@digpoe: Agreed on all points. This is a reference map though, so the text is meh. We will probably have horses to ride at the very least… and it is called Dragonlore after all.

1 Like

If anyone wants to see the map full scale!

Distinguish paths better. (Highlight them / make them wider.)

Looks great! Big fan of the colors!
But city2. Seriously?!
I suggest Rivardelchi!

We’re actually in the process of building it all with smooth terrain now. I’ve been working on a plugin to facilitate this; it’s broken into 96 chunks and the builders can save/load them at will and edit them right near the origin so no parts get misaligned.

I would want more variance and biomes on the map. It’s basically all forest with some mountainy areas. I’d suggest adding snowy mountain regions and a dry / desert type region.

Smooth terrain is so laggy though :frowning:
(Not in my PC, but on 50% of the players I know)

Oh man, how could I forget a desert? Definitely going to do that.

How are you going to render that much terrain, I’ve tried to generate 16,000 x 500 x 16,000 studs of terrain once and crashed due to roblox running out of memory.

I’m using a custom chunking system. Servers run their own regions, which consist of multiple chunks. The regions are sized for 50 players depending on the context of the region; cities are tiny regions for max density, and countrysides are huge.

You can locally load/unload chunks of terrain – same thing Minecraft does to prevent itself from crashing (which it would do if the entire map was loaded at once). Baadf00d mentioned chunks in post #27, so I assume that’s what they plan on doing.

edit: ninja’d