Feedback on a LowPoly Floating Island!

Hello everyone, it has been quite a long time since my last post here in the DevForums.
I was kind of busy with school stuff lately, and i also have been working on a new project with a friend of mine that would hopefully be released by the end of November.
And i was wondering if i could get some instructive feedback on this floating island, and any suggestions and additions i could gather from here would be really helpful. :smiley_cat:

14 Likes

Not bad. Simple but not bad. It looks like youā€™ve utilised 3D Blender. The second tree to the left looks a little too ā€œbentā€. Other than that, its not bad.

2 Likes

This build looks good, but I feel like you can improve on some things. I personally would make the green neon part more transparent, to reduce the glowing. Iā€™d maybe add a couple more trees and enlarge them. I would also place the Dark Green part lower into the ground so itā€™s siding doesnā€™t show as much. Try adding a log on the other side of the small river and rotate it differently.

2 Likes

Thank you for the feedback, i really appreciate that. And concerning the bent tree at the left side, it was made like that on purpose, do you think itā€™s a little bit too bent or this is how itā€™s supposed to be ?

1 Like

My advise: Iā€™d maybe add some grass and maybe make the trees a bit bigger and as Lv100DominusUtimus said maybe make that one tree a little less bent one other thing is those signs with arrows you might want to remove or make smaller as they donā€™t seem to really be leading anywhere.
Thatā€™s just my personal advise.
But it looks really good keep it up!

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. Iā€™ll definitely try to apply what you suggested and see how itā€™s gonna turn out to beā€¦ :smiley_cat:

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, it really means a lot.
Personally, i didnā€™t think about adding the grass, but it seems like a great idea. I would definitely add some and apply some changements.
For the crossroad sign, i was thinking it would look cool as a side-accessory, but it really doesnā€™t make sense since it doesnā€™t lead anywhere, thanks for pointing that out. :smiley_cat:

Yup no worries 2 more things
Maybe add some small and big rocks and maybe a hot air balloon in the background if you wanted toā€¦

I was trying to make the island as simplistic as possible, but iā€™ll definitely try to add those suggestions and see if itā€™s gonna improve the overall looking of it.
Thanks once again, your suggestions are really helpful. :smiley_cat:

Can you add more pictures please

Sorry, i donā€™t think i could since it was really hard to take this picture without ā€œleakingā€ anything else in the gameā€¦ This is all what i could get. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

The Problem
When I think of floating island; what comes to mind is a mystical, enchanted, unique structure of island. In a unfortunate nature, this is quite the opposite. Plain, boring, generic structure of green-brown-blue parts defying gravity.

The Details
If Iā€™m not mistaken, the over-hanging lamp model you used is a free model. As well as the randomly placed hexagonal raised structure massing nearly the entire ā€œisland.ā€ To me, this doesnā€™t look like an island. This looks like a mini earth plopped into some blue dimension in the universe. Furthmore, itā€™s not telling on what it is. When you display an image, viewers should have a good idea about what it is. This looks like you mixed a whole bunch of games together and called it a ā€œFloating Island.ā€ Additionaly, adding little details is important, but not where it looks like you are attemping to make something generic unique. Your trees on the left-hand side of the image displays one tree standing up firm, and the other bent crooked. To me, this reveals that instead of spending the time to create,
A. Different colored Trees
B. Different variety trees
C. Multiple trees
D. Or all of the above options,
You decided to tilt a low-poly model to add some quirk that only makes it look silly.
Moving on, the log. Itā€™s randomly placed as well. Logs just donā€™t plop out of nowhere on grass, they are normally by trees. Instead, your log is on the whole other side of where your ā€œTreeā€™sā€, (Two trees) are. Itā€™d look nicer if it was across the river, something that actually happens.
Moving on to the pillars, it seems that you did the same thing with the trees. You tilt one and leave the other as is, now the two are adjacent and it looks even more silly.

The Solution
As many builders will repeat,
building is something that cannot be rushed. It takes time. With this particular build, I feel a sense of rush and lack of time. You could have added flowers, and orchestrated more purposeful touches to this ā€œIsland.ā€ This would be alot better if you just asked yourself what was wrong with it, and took some time to fix it accordingly.

2 Likes

This is a really nice-simple floating island map!

Everything is really nice on the map but what if you added some other nature in/near the river & probably make that one pine tree a little less bent!

Great job on this though!

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback, iā€™ll keep that in mind.
It sounds like a great idea, adding some more flowers and nature related models. Thanks once again. :smiley_cat:

1 Like

Yeah it was kind of rushed to be honest, and yeah i didnā€™t follow any references to make this ā€œfloating islandā€ like an actual floating island, but i just tried to use my imagination and slap some models here and there, and see how itā€™s gonna turn out to be.

But now that you mentionned few things in your post, i really think it wouldā€™ve been better if i followed a reference, but yeah iā€™ll for sure apply some changes to it and just keep working on it more. Thanks for your feedback, it really means a lot :+1:

1 Like

Pretty simple but has something to it,nice job.

Thank you, your feedback means a lot. :slight_smile:

An excellent Building is amazing,nice job bro

1 Like

The only thing I can really say is the grass is a little too bright, maybe make it a little darker, itā€™d make it a whole lot better.

2 Likes

Thank you, but you can call me Dreams instead of ā€œbroā€. :woman_shrugging: