Feedback on a Music Project

Sometimes it’s nice to explore your own creative whims, so here are a few tracks from my personal projects.

Tannhauser: Stream tannhauser by Monophony | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

MO-FI: Stream MO-FI by Monophony | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

See it: Stream See it by Monophony | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

If you can provide me with some feedback or ways I can potentially improve or experiment with my work, let me know what you think!

4 Likes

From a quick listen, the synth sounds are great and the melodies are equally great! I definitely think you did a good job there. The drum beats are also pretty cool.

I have a few tricks for making lo-fi tracks sound more “spaced out” and “thick,” if that makes sense. I’d add some distortion, reverb, and delays to the synths and snares (the delay might sound weird on a snare actually).

Another thing you can do to make the drums feel more “human” is to bring up the swing. I find that bringing the swing all the way up really makes a cool lo-fi feeling.

Overall you did a good job! Keep it up!

2 Likes

That’s cool and all, I agree what you say about the drums being very robotic on MO-FI, they are. However, it would be better remedied by loosening quantisation rather than creating a swing beat, for example a J Dilla style

1 Like

I see how it is. Not DMing me. Fine, be that way.

First track sounds really nice, but your sub is a little low. Can’t hear it well through my speakers, but definitely hear the low frequencies. Barely though.

The intro to the second song is really nice. Except your snare is a little too filtered. You’re blocking the high and low frequencies. It just sounds sort of like a “flat” hit on the snare head. I understand you’re going for Lo-Fi, but even then, your snare is a little too filtered.

In your third, you start out by playing a triad. I feel when the drums come in it’s sort of like “Oh, there’s the drums.” You don’t really have anything leading into it. It’s just… there. I cannot hear your sub at all. Except for when everything cuts out sort of a little past the middle. For that part too, you’ll want some sort of indication that you’re going to a new section. It ends sort of all at once. When I was listening I just thought, “Oh, that’s the end?”

It doesn’t have to relate to Dev Forum. That’s the best part of music. We don’t have to make music on Roblox. We make music because we want to.

1 Like

Nooooo ahah sorry I would have but I didn’t think to I’m so sorrrrryyyyy

My thoughts for the first track was to let the rythmic bass have it’s moment as I didn’t want to overpower it with a huge sub because it’s shy, I think in my latest revision I’ve saturated the hell out of it and boosted the sub.

Honestly, I’m a huge sucker for a flat snare. Guess I just like an underdog lmao

Alright cheers, I’ve taken that on board. Don’t think I’ll bother updating it as it’s quite an old project but thanks for the advice :slight_smile:

Well said too.