Feedback on a song I have been working on for a while

Hello, I am a novice music composer who has been making music for a little over six months. I have gotten feedback on some of my previous songs that have said that they are too repetitive, so I have tried to make this song more interesting and less repetitive. I would like some feedback on this song, whether it be positive, or constructive criticism.

(Please do not use without permission)

13 Likes

Love the tune! Great work, keep it up!

1 Like

Amazing work dude! Keep it up!

1 Like

The song has a great little intro to it and everything in the middle flows perfectly. There’s contrast and it’s not too repetitive. My only problem is: what’s going on at 1:03? Unfortunately as I listen to this I’m not by a piano and my relative pitch skills only go so far, I can only assume that the chord is a flat chord out of the key signature. It definitely strikes me and is an interesting choice but I think it could be approached differently.
If you wouldn’t mind saying what the chords are and the key signature I could give some ideas for it, but I’m genuinely curious as to what it is!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! When I was working on that piano part, I knew it did not sound quite right. It is getting pretty late for my timezone right now, so I will try to tell you about the key of the song and the chord tomorrow morning.

Nice work, the melody fits nicely with the chords. Seems like you have some understanding of music theory. One part I liked especially was the inversion at 0:53.

At 1:03, I think that note played by the lead is a nice way to add some variation, just make sure you make changes to the chords accordingly. It’s not a bad idea by any means.

I think your next step for this song is fleshing it out and then mixing. It sounds really nice, not repetitive at all. Keep it up!

1 Like

Thank you! I have not really taken music theory, but I do listen to a lot of songs and see what makes them sound good. I am gonna try to make the chords around 1:03 a little better.

For this song and almost all of my previous ones, I have been using BeepBox (A browser) to make music. It can be a bit limiting, so recently I have got FL Studio to try to make better music. I am not that familiar with it yet, but I do want to experiment with music on it. I noticed that you use it for your music. Do you have any tips?

1 Like

So the song is in the key of D. The chord right before 1:03 is a D and a B, and the chord after 1:03 is a D and an A. Do you have any suggestions on what I can fix there?

So if the key is D and it goes to a B it’d technically be a V/II chord so it would have to resolve to the ii chord (Em). So it can go D B Em A D. Just watch for voice leading, this will make it flow better if done right.

Sorry, I do not fully understand what you mean. I haven’t really taken music theory or anything so I don’t really understand when people talk about chords like that. If you could try to explain it in a way I might be able to understand better, that would be great. Sorry again.

I’ll send you a message with a piano roll layout with the chords and the progression it should have to smoothly transition in a few minutes!

1 Like

AnimalBot99 has helped me with the chords around 1:03, so here is what I have now.

This reminds me of YouTube fan songs or C418 and it gives me life.

1 Like