Feedback on art style first try

Tried out my friend, @astrosour’s art style for profile art. We both use procreate but I’m lacking 6 years of experience compared to him :sweat_smile:

His art

My attempt

Aware of disgusting head-shape. That made me not want to draw eyes…
Also I had modeling to do therefore I was rushed in the process. I took around 30 minutes to make this.

Btw, I do very recommend Sour if you want superb artwork. He mainly posts on What are you working on currently? (2021) - #3982 by Saudrorn.

Check him out! Big vouch given.

8 Likes

The colors are good, they work together remarkably well.

You’re aware of the issues with anatomy, but have you considered that you’ve also got issues with the perspective? I think you’re trying to do a 3/4 perspective, in which case the eyes/mouth don’t go in the middle of the face. That being said, the general shapes in this actually aren’t bad, and I don’t know if you did this on purpose or on accident, but there’s a lot of lines moving in the same direction, meaning there’s a good sense of flow.

You need to work on being more confident in your line work. Scratchy linework is fine in a sketch, but for final line art, don’t go over your lines more than once and try drawing things in one quick stroke zoomed out rather than a close, slow line zoomed in. Going slow actually makes your lines a lot shakier! You probably know about this, but just in case you don’t, Procreate does has a function that smooths out your lines (not sure what it’s exactly called). Don’t go overboard, but put it on lightly.

Try using a shading color that isn’t black. Experiment with it! Different colors work better for different pieces and different parts of the art! I would’ve probably used a blue or red here. Coloring in your line-art can also help make it a little more lively.

There’s some more things I could say, but it would probably get a little confusing - feel free to ask me questions here in this thread if you don’t understand something, but please don’t PM me. <3

You have a lot of potential as an artist. I really think you should keep going - I can see that you’re going to be really great!!

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah its been a problem with my messy strokes for a while and i intended it to be only shades of black and white. Thanks for the tips on anatomy and scaling.

Ahhh. The head is so stretched out. Also… the eyes… THE EYES?! Where are they?

Also, just a note. That guy looks kinda fat

colors and everything are great headshape aint good the sketches ain’t visible the hexagons ain’t there

You cant imagine how amazing it looks for a first try. I’d show my first cartoon drawing but :flushed: too embarrassing.

Although the head could use some improvements, I really love the hair. The shading of the hair fr stands out, so does the hoodie. And my goodness, the background matches so much! Very well done IMO! :slight_smile:

Yep head is disgusting LOL. Rushed the shape

Your design is really good, head shape is a bit off though, are you for hire?

Yeah I’m aware of the head XD. Dm me if you want to hire me for some art

1 Like