Feedback on engine valve gear?

Using prismatic constraints and legacy hinges, I’ve made some simple train valve gear. What do you think about it? Should I make any changes?

Sorry for the laggy video, I still only have the default Roblox recorder.

3 Likes

well im not a train expert so i think it looks nice functionally.
is there a more complex system you can make?
can you make this using more detailed parts?
what other functionality can you add?
can the train turn?
does this work for different sized trains? different sized parts?

if you make no changes i think it’ll be fine. it wouldnt bother me as a player visually, and it looks to function perfectly.

1 Like
  • I could make something more complex, but I don’t have the time.
  • Yeah, that shouldn’t be too hard.
  • I could probably make different kinds of valve gear, don’t know their names off the top of my head
  • Yes, this doesn’t affect the wheels or gliders in any way.
  • It should, but I haven’t tested it.

If you have a bad device and you’re using a fast engine (Favour and Clive, the two fastest engines with valve gear), the valve gear (and siderods) will sometimes flick upwards for a frame, this hasn’t caused any problems from what I’ve seen, but it does look pretty bad.

There are benefits though, since the valve gear locks the rods when you’re going too fast and try to brake, you’re able to brake faster.

Yeah, I would do that too if that bug happens

character limit

1 Like

It wasn’t even intentional, it’s a bug that actually helps since engines are harder to brake when they’re pulling things.

No I understand that I knew it was a bug I was telling you I would do that too if that happened… but I guess I wasnt clear on that, wasn’t I :rofl:. I’ll change that now.

1 Like