Feedback on first build

So i’ve been doing some coding and stuff on my game when suddenly i realized: I have no idea how to build lmao! and i thought i’d start off my journey as a builder, a good artist isn’t limited to 2 dimensions, shouldn’t be THAT hard right?.. well this turned out to be a disaster

RobloxScreenShot20200212_203213113|690x380

(you can probably recognize the car from the default toolbox search, it’s just there for staging, the building on the right is what i made from scratch, random decals for “Ads”)

the process was really slow, didn’t count but it took me about 3-4 hours, i almost gave up but i wanted to see the final piece, I imagined it being way faster in my mind, the reason why i called it a “Disaster”, I think this should NOT have taken so much time, i was just really slow, anyways… i used a random picture that caught my eye on pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/715509459535916174/
and started off from there, i added a bit of my imagination here and there, but the result is quite similar to the reference.
so builders, i call you. I’d love to learn more about this craft, even tho it took me hours i still found it enjoyable to look around it and see it from all angles, i’m open for every little nitpick, all the feedback you got, what’s good, what’s bad, what you’d add, remove, change? I also want to ask for online resources, people to follow, references to look at, tutorials and articles about building, i want to improve at it!

I’l try to take cool image from pinterest every other day and use it as reference to build, i also want your thoughts on this, should i quickly rush and limit my time on these and do more builds for experience? should i take a few days to craft “high quality” and more polished builds? how would you think i’l learn better?

18 Likes

Hey Wingboy! First off, this build is very good, especially if it’s your first. When I first started building, I had no idea how a mix of colors and material could help a build, so that’s great that you knew.

I’d like to give you a few pats on the back, and just a couple of critiques, as it’s really not that bad.

• Great job using a reference, lots of people think this is either not needed or a waste of time. But it really helps you add detail to the build as you work.
  • The mix of colors and materials is great! It shows the attention to detail and helps bring life to the build.
  • I like the windows, and how you can see in. The only critique I have on this part is how one window is transparent and you can see in, but the others are not. More recently, when I build I put some sort of empty room or a room with a couple of little things in it just for extra detail.
  • I like the canopy in front of the building, it fits well with this build.
  • I recommend adding a small sidewalk, or perhaps a hedge. Just something extra around the exterior (mostly the back) of the building.

For the next section of your post, I don’t recommend always going to super-polished builds. In my opinion all builds should be high quality, especially if you’re going to sell it. I recommend starting off simple and trying a couple different genres. You’ll find that if you slowly start trying new things, building some of these “Polished” builds will come to you easier, I also recommend not overworking yourself. If you overwork yourself while building, you’ll lose that kind of touch of life to your builds and it just becomes more of a chore to work than for fun. Make sure to keep practicing and I wish you luck!

-Blox

4 Likes

Pretty cool but here are my thoughts:

Don’t use Free Models
Add a sidewalk
Fire hydrant
Windows and end of outside area too close on second floor
Go into Pixlr or something and make the posters better
Make the sign Neon
Choose one extended sign preferably in the middle

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for the feedback, yes i can’t say i have never done anything like this, some skill comes from past design and drawing experience, using reference is also a habit i’ve worked out during that time…
i was thinking of actually doing the interior to show off, but then decided to go for “save performance” mode (even tho this isn’t for any projects lol), this def could use an extended scene, might actually continue and grow on this scene based the feedback i get.
and as all new skills come, i’l start off slow and easy, then work my way up!

@Strongjohnfgamer
also thanks for the tips too, def will use them

what’s this?

1 Like

FM means Free Models. like “Don’t use FM,s” = “Don’t use Free Models”

1 Like

I think this is a very good first build. Good job for sticking with it!

Feedback and Questions
-I love the use of those ads, you paid very good attention to detail :+1:
-The textures of brick and concrete are not sitting well with me. I’d play around with textures a little bit more.
-is there an interior?

This made me laugh

Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 11.40.10 AM

Good reference material and tips:
Google and Pintrest is your friend when it comes to reference material. Don’t rush the building process! If you want nice looking, high quality builds then spend as much time as you can on it.

From the forum:

Mess around with Blender. It’s really hard when you first start out but youtube has many tutorials out there to get you started.

And plugins are your friend!!
Archimedes 2 and F3X etc…

plugins

List of top 10 plugins (Note: not all building plugins)
Top 10 Best Plugins On Roblox. Exactly as the tile says, in this post… | by Molegul | Medium

Also, mess around with different genres, get good at building different things.
Hope this helps!

Sincerely,
LandofLee1620

2 Likes

The building itself looks cool, though, I feel like the decal spam could and should be toned down a bit since it can be harsh on the eyes. Furthermore you may want to try and customize those decals to look better in whatever graphical software you use, say Photoshop. The mix of materials and colors is a nice touch, something a lot of new builders don’t have in most of their beginning models.

There are a few problems that I feel could be listed, since they could help you short-term and long-term as a builder, and pursuer in the craft itself, though, I’m not one to really judge.

• Adding some sort of fooliage/canopy around the building, say, bushes for example, could help brighten the mood, and would help with adding color to the model itself.

• You should also try to add some interior decoration, since having windows that are transparent or solid with nothing inside drags the overall detail of the model into the dirt.

• And lastly, just add layers onto each part of the frame, the frame being the supports, roof, et cetera. It’s great to have extra layers that add onto the barrest of parts of any model.

All-in-all, keep building, experiment with cool and different genres, and different styles for different projects, experimenting, and thus, continuously building helps you get better, and will let you more clearly see what you do and don’t enjoy building, and thus, makes you better.

1 Like

Not bad for a first build! I would suggest adding an atmosphere around it that relate to the building you have done here. For example, you want a Vehicle, make a parking garage, a parking lot, etc. I would also recommend building with a reference photo :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The Vortex lighting make that extra nice piece to the model.

1 Like

I’m sad because you build better than me but anyway the build looks very good I like the windows and Great combination of colors but to be honest I’ll like to change this part maybe change it with the concrete or a window
841255219f03a49ac8ddf6c36353f50b6c94e6a2_2_690x409

But overall it is really a nice build and sadly you build 100x better than me.

3 Likes

not bad for your first work, keep going and post a second of your creation.

1 Like

The building looks really nice you can try texturing and custom materials and make it look even better!

1 Like

looks pretty good
you could incorporate some little indentations on the pillars or on other parts of the buildilngs, this is subtle but it adds more detail

you could also import or search for custom materials and insert them as a texture (not decal) so that you have more to work with other than the default materials

2 Likes

I want to add on this. Detailing makes your build look better and the amount of detail depends on the style you are building. Slight indentations below windows in slightly darker/lighter colors can do wonders. For example just adding a some more parts to make a simple/plain part of your build look a lot more complex. Also textures are a good idea indeed. The brick works but im not a fan of the marble.
Could you give us an update on your build? If you continued it or made a new building :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This looks great; not sure on the car though as it’s a bit of a standout in comparison to the realism of the building, but nice nevertheless!

1 Like

If this is your first build, then it looks really great.

1 Like

Looks amazing for your first build!!! Keep it up!

1 Like

Pretty good for a first build. Better than anything i can do.