Feedback on "Kart Racer" Controller

I had been working on this for a while. It’s a custom Kart Racer controller that doesn’t use wheels or joints for collisions, Instead all movement and collision is done by a Ball part that then returns the information to the Kart to copy position. This was heavily Inspired by the controls and Power-Sliding mechanics of Mario Kart and the look of Crash Team Racing.

Demo

The Kart has a mesh made by myself in Blender 2.8, which is UV Mapped so that I can change the Kart Colors by changing a texture.

The controls so far allow me to
Accelerate to a fixed speed
Go Into reverse (Reversing is about half as fast as going forwards, so not ideal for winning a race)
Camera Tracking (The Camera follows the Kart accurately)
Drift
And Boost by Drifting (You can hold Drifts to get a higher boost, or you can hold a drift off a ramp to gain a Mid-Air-Drift Turbo)

Here are some images of the Kart’s Mesh

Mesh 1

The todo list is:
-Adding sounds
-Making the Stats of a racer customizable (So you can have a Racer whos got a really high top speed, but low handling. Or a high acceleration to their top speed, or even a really sharp turn character who can’t go very fast!
-Adding A Driver Character to the controller

EDIT: for those who aren’t aware of how the controller works (I never actually mentioned it), It’s actually a ball part handling the physics, the Kart and the wheels are all purely decorative.

4 Likes

Seen some studder here and their,you could make the controls smoother as when you turn the wheels go right to the position,try lerping the wheels to make everything look clean

1 Like

That may be from recording the game, The studder on parts catching up not noticeable without it.