Feedback on Katana Mesh

Hello,
I’m trying to learn how to use blender and I attempted to make a katana. Although I did manage to create one, it does not have much detail. If you could give me feedback and maybe some suggestions that would make it look more interesting. It would be appreciated.

Katana:

Thank you in advance! :smile:

2 Likes

Looks very good, however I would recommend maybe making the blade thinner to add to realism if that is what you’re going for. Very nice though.

Thank you for the feedback! And yes I am going for a realistic look.

1 Like

You did a great job in modeling the katana however currently it does not look like a katana.

The katana blade is too short and does not have the shape of a katana blade. It is also missing the hamon which traditional katana blades have. And the blade is also shaped wrong being too flat on it’s side. Currently it looks like it’s made out of cardboard.

Katana Proportions

Katana Blade

download (1)

As for the handle it is too boxy and the tsuka wrap is not done properly [I recommend looking at youtube videos on how it is modeled and another video on how it is wrapped around the handle]

It is also missing parts which a katana has such as Fuchi,Sepoa,Habaki,Kashiri

Tsuka Wrap and Handle

download

Parts of a Katana

Now you have all the missing parts, it’s time to add detail.

Tsuba - the current one is bland [it’s just a cylinder]. An interesting to do would be to add engravings or patterns which would make for a more interesting aesthetic.

Sheath - Adding the sheath would not only make it more beautiful but make it look like your traditional katana.

Edit:
For more realistic materials i suggest you learn Substance Painter which is one of the industry standards for creating Texture Maps. I would also suggest studying materials.

Another tip I would like to give is to use reference whenever you model.

2 Likes

I agree with trying to make the blade thinner. I would also recommend making a less boxy handle. Looks good though.

1 Like