Feedback on "Low-Poly" building?

Currently, I’m doing some development work for an upcoming Murder game, and I’m basically in charge of building the maps for said project.

I’m not much of a traditional low-poly Builder, so that’s why I’ve come to this section of the forum to ask three questions in total about this specific part of the map.

• Does the build fit within the Low-Poly style?
  • Is the building of a good enough standard for the game?
  • Are there any things I could add on the walls to avoid repetition?

Below, I have attached some photos of this build.

The Build Itself

Please leave your feedback down below this topic, and I will be replying to all criticisms, praises and responses to my questions I have specifically asked. :brick:

5 Likes

I’ll start by saying that low-poly is not a style.

As for the build itself, there isn’t much to go on but currently it’s a good start. If you’re concerned about repetition, adding in minor scenic assets (boxes, dumpsters, chairs, bushes, etc) can break up sight lines and keep the map visually fresh. For instance:

These city buildings here are all made with modular pieces - which makes everything extremely repetitive. I got around that issue by adding in a lot of variety in colour, shape, and additional assets. You can see different window shapes, balconies, light fixures, doorways, etc.

Additionally, fix your wood grain :wink:

13 Likes

Thank you for the detailed response within such a short space of time, I appreciate it a lot and you definitely raise some good detailed points. I’ll make sure to fix up the grain and add in some extra details wherever I can.

Hello Squidzyee, I will try to answer these questions as best as I can!

Yes, I think it does. You don’t have too many details on it. Low Poly is: low part count When building in Roblox Studio. But as mentioned before, Low Poly is not a style.

I think you’re on a good way, but the build is in fact very repetetive.

Here are some thing you can do to prevent repetition:

• Change the color of some windows to orange or yellow and change the material to neon. It will look like there is light inside the building. Example of what I mean:
Click me

• The light red bricks you have on the wall should be placed differently, you can clearly see that they are very repetetive

• Try to make different window variations with different shapes and sizes.

I hope this was helpful for you. Good luck on further work! :wink:

2 Likes

Well, first of all, I will say is that the outside looks pretty nice and I like the details. The inside which you will probably add more at some point, that is one thing you need. Also, about the s
stairs, the side railing is a bit too low I think. But all in all, it looks great.

2 Likes

Ik guessing what the stirs lead up to is like a patio. You should add some decoration there. For example, a chair and table.

2 Likes

It looks like a good start, however there are plenty of improvements that can be made.

First off the bricks you placed are much to repetitive. Instead of placing them 3 on each side in the same pattern you can scatter them about like so,

This way you create a more natural look.

Another thing you can do is give the build depth. It seems pretty flat, make the windows a couple increments outwards of the wall. Do the same with the doors and even the surrounding detail. They don’t all have to look smashed deep into the wall. Having more depth can give the build a better feel.

For windows I’d suggest adding neon and then placing a glass part on top with .5 transparency and full reflection. This way the windows will look glossier and give a lived in feeling.

Also make sure each part connects properly cause I noticed these parts here don’t connect,
978c64131c14d8cfd7d7c9c2f842f2b6
If you are struggling filling the gap use gapfill to fix it.

Also play around with color more, I think the build is a good start. However with further improvements it can be great!

5 Likes

Thanks for your advice.
I usually don’t build in this style so it’s good to see that many people like yourself are willing to take time out of their day to help!

2 Likes