How to create a low poly look/vibe using ROBLOX studio blocks?

Hey! How could I create a low poly look using only ROBLOX parts? When I make it, would it look like it was made in 3D modeling softwares, or is that depending on the build? Speaking of low poly, I’ve heard there is more than 1 meaning to it, do you know what are they? Thanks for your help!

14 Likes

The basic 3 concepts of low poly in ROBLOX builds as far as I’ve used them: Smooth plastic, bright colors, and a lower part count.

It really does depend on the build, the style of modelling you have, the software used and tons of other variables. I’ve seen plenty of models made in Blender and C4D that look like they could have been made in ROBLOX, and plenty of ROBLOX builds that look like they could have been made in Blender or C4D. There’s no determinate style for any software or ROBLOX itself which is why there’s such a variety in method and style among builders. I’ve seen entire low poly games made in just Studio, and I think I’ve seen a few LP projects with all builds made in external software.

Low poly = Low amount of polygons in a build or model that uses Polygonal Modelling. Low poly builds are often desired because of their simplistic style, ease of rendering, and development speed.

When you’re building ‘Low Poly’ in ROBLOX Studio, it generally means you’re using the three principles above. However, a low poly build really just translates to low part count when building in ROBLOX.

I hope this helps, I don’t normally make really intensive posts like this (And I’m definitely not an expert!) So if I’ve made any mistakes or omitted any important information feel free to add on / correct me :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I agree with this statement, however more chances than not when using Roblox you’ll have to compromise a bit to obtain the same look as let’s say a blender low poly render. Especially in terms of part count as you’ll be using a lot of wedges and such.

First of make sure you utilize plugins like GapFill and Atrazine’s Terrain V2 as they will give you the look you wish with polygons. Atrazine’s Terrain utilizes triangles and wedges to create that low poly feel for terrain and such.

Second, you will have to spend a bit more time using studio, however it is not nearly as long as regular builds. I suggested GapFill since the faces will look smoother that way. It’ll give that refined sharper look rather than the full smooth look of let’s say a sphere. Like these barrels which were made with GapFill.

Third, as the person above me had stated, using smooth plastic and bright colors. You can also use neon for things like lighting. One tip is for windows put a glass part on top of the neon to create a glossy look. It won’t take away from the simple look but it will add that extra detail that goes a long way.

Fourth, make sure to keep it simple. When making low poly builds you are going for something with low part counts and more cartoony. You aren’t going for individual detail, rather something to comes together nicely.

I know it may seem hard to achieve without third party programs but trust me it is very achievable. :smiley: Good luck on your builds!

6 Likes

Hey ScytheSlayin! (Cool name by the way)

Let’s dive right on in!

Low Poly = Low Polygon mesh made for gameplay.

Low Poly (in relation to ROBLOX.com) = Clean visible geometry that creates a pleasant model.

" How could I create a low poly look using only ROBLOX parts?"

You can try using an extensive amount of creative design choices such as color and attention to detail.

Examples:

@DieSoft

However if you want to achieve geometry that ONLY looks and mimics what power of a 3D modeling program, I’d suggest you just learn the program. However you did want an answer so:

Answer: Shaping models through CSG/Unions is also another way you can imitate the real deal, however it comes at the cost of being much more taxing and more prone to corrupting than any other faucet of modeling.

TLDR: You can mimic the low poly look well with only parts.You can also do it with unions but it’s unperformant. So to save you a lot of time in the future if you’re going to take developing seriously, just learn blender or any other modeling program.

11 Likes

I mean it’s in the name, you use as few polygons as you can. Instead of creating smooth edges, you make them look sharp. Like in this screenshot below from a build that I made half a year ago.

I used a minimal part count and sharp edges to create a low poly vehicle. That’s what low poly is all about. You may complain that detail is a bit lacking however, the build itself is still visually pleasing to the eye. I’d also suggest that you use these parts the most:

• Part
  • Wedge
  • Corner

And avoid using these as much:

• Sphere
  • Cylinder

Here’s why. In the screenshot below, we see two barrels with different styles. Notice how the one on the left has really sharp edges and looks quite blocky. These are the key features that distinguish it as being low poly. However, the one on the right uses complex shapes (spheres and cylinders) to achieve a more cartoony look. Both designs look good but both designs cannot be used together in the same map/game.

Also, quite often a lot of low poly designs have 5-10 sided shapes. So do bare in mind what kind of shape you would like your object to be.

I hope this helped! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Low poly isn’t a style!

It’s a method of creating meshes on which to bake a high poly model’s texture. You’re referring to textureless/minimalism/flat shading.

I’ve talked extensively about this both on Twitter and on this forum:

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/how-to-make-lowpoly-buildings/254109/6

28 Likes

Thank you SO SO SO much! I honestly feel that my low-poly builds are a lot better thanks to you.

1 Like

I always wondered what the buildings on these sort of games were called :stuck_out_tongue: I called them cartoonish, but now I understand that the correct term is Low-Poly :rainbow: If you look them up in the library on Roblox, you can find some pretty good models! And @980246 has some pretty good ones :+1:

4 Likes