Feedback on Low Poly Tommy Gun?

Made a Low Poly Tommy Gun for a friends game for free and wanted some feedback on Future Weapons!

9 Likes

Looks really good. Nice a similar to the Tommy gun. Although I might have a done a few less of the circles image

2 Likes

It looks pretty good although there are a few things that look a little odd.

Suggestions

I think this part of the handle should be properly connected to the gun. It just looks a little weird how it is.

31%20pm

Other than that I guess you could play with the colours a little bit. although those colours do fit the cartoony, low poly vibe.

It’s a great start and I wish you good luck on your future projects!

Honestly, you’ve kind of butchered the gun though.

• Your receiver is massive and doesn’t follow the right shape. It should be reduced in height and more rectangular. The image below shows the receiver piece itself. There are other features on the receiver such as the ejection port that you should include. You don’t need to make these features detailed like the ejection port would just be a rectangular hole but it’ll make the gun overall look better. The charging bolt is great for animations and will make firing and reloading so much more satisfying.

• The butt of your receiver should not be flat. Since you’re doing low poly, you can do a more simplified profile like I have highlighted.

• I think you could’ve put a bit more effort into the rear iron sight. At least make it into two plates that are side by side like in the image above. Bonus points if you add a small rear hole iron sight like in the 2nd picture just to make it more complete

• The stock is not attached correctly and should only be attached to the underside of the receiver. Reference to the top picture to how it should actually look like.

• Your drum mag needs to be of a much greater diameter as well as being a tad thicker. This gun could accept 50 to 100 round drum mags. Below is an example of a 50rnd mag so that you can see the size comparison.

• The back of your foregrip should be flush with the front of the receiver. Like so:
    image The grip should also come down further and is only slightly above the the lowest point of the main handle.

• The fins on the barrel needs to be much thinner. These fins are basically a heatsink so like in a PC, they need to be thin. Another thing is that there should be many more of them but also they need to taper (gradually reduce in diameter) as you go along the barrel.

• The front iron sight needs to be moved right to the end of the barrel. Also at the muzzle, the barrel has a small flange. Furthermore you need to reduce the diameter of the barrel by a bit. This gun is firing .45 rounds that a normally found on pistols.

• The whole trigger guard needs to be metal instead of wood and the front of the trigger guard needs to be flush with the back of the drum magazine:

Furthermore the magazine needs to be a bit thicker

Really the main overall fault of your design is the poor proportions. You’re greatly benefit yourself by taking a historically accurate side picture of a Tommy gun and building//modelling against that. You’ll find the quality and accuracy of your gun model will increase considerably. Even when doing this, make sure you still refer to angled reference pictures like the first image in this post. Despite that this gun is meant to be low poly, you can still add more main details and features making your gun look decently detailed whilst still looking like a low poly weapon. Here’s an example:

10 Likes

I also read what you said and changed it to LOOK like the tommy gun, moving things around etc