Feedback on Mars Rover Game

Hey there!

I’ve been working lately on a game where you play as a Mars Rover (Perseverance-Style) and do various science experiments and research on Mars. It’s not finished yet, but I would like some feedback on what I could change or add to make it more fun/educational.

My Goals For the Game:
One of my main goals for the game is to make it as realistic as Roblox will let me, and also to make it somewhat educational. I have a gui for all the instruments currently in-game that gives readings and a brief description of what it does and how it works.

Some Issues I’ve faced:
No game is absolutely perfect, so when giving feedback, just know you’re going to come across these things in the game.

I’ve had a lot of trouble with Roblox’s funky hinge issues, as you can see here:

(I’ll probably make a post asking for help about it later)

My Future Ideas for the Game:
Currently there are two leaderstats, time and science points. In the future, I plan to have different rovers you can play as unlockable by science points. I can’t think of anything else to have science points be used for, so if you have any ideas, I’d appreciate those too!

I also plan on adding many more scientific instruments onto the rover as well, since currently there are only 2 + the RTG.

I appreciate all the feedback and ideas you give! Thank you!
https://www.roblox.com/games/6453258633/Mars-Rover-Wayfarer

11 Likes

Hi im glad to see this coming along since the time I helped you with the constraint issue.
Issues I see so far:

• I couldnt move the rover at all… im using WASD.
  • there is a floating part right above the rover a bit behind it.
  • when using U and P, the main head wobbles while the arm is rotating.

But i love the music and the overall feel and it feels reeeeally immersive… great job on this!!

1 Like

So far this is areally impressive! Though there are some things you can maybe fix.

I seriously didn’t know what was going on with this but maybe it’s fixable?

Also There’s a rock floating LOL

2 Likes

I’ve tried giving the hinges on the chassis joints limits, but as you see, they still bug out sometimes.

I believe I figured out one of the big reasons, if not THE reason, that the left side always goes funky. For some reason it was affected because of the slight rotation offset on one side of the chassis attachment bar. Here’s a screenshot. (POV from front of rover looking back)

I’m working on fixing this and stabilizing both sides of it now.

EDIT: It’s fixed now. The wheels shouldn’t bug out at all now.

1 Like

Forgive me for this silly question… does the rover move on the wheels? does it move forward or backwards? I cannot get it to move other than rotating its arms or head. I want to go explore but it doesnt go forwards.

Sometimes when you join one of the scripts enabling movement doesn’t load, so in that case you just have to rejoin and it should work.
But to answer your question, it moves using a modified version of this: Easy Entities: Free resource for entities that reorient with the ground reliably + other features and the wheels just spin with the ground. I use this because it’s much easier to move only the body part of it and still have it rotate than having to edit the speed and direction and rotation of every single wheel.

1 Like

Hmmm this my 4th time in there and all 4 times i cannot move… even tried to reset character that didn’t help.

Needs a 30m - 1 hour delay between each input

lol that’s what one of my friends who tested it out said. Maybe I’ll make an ultra-realistic mode that you can enable in-game for things like that :smirk:

2 Likes

Weird, are there any errors in the console?

2 Likes

Here is a screen shot:

1 Like

Weird…no errors regarding the movement scripts. And it’s still not letting you move? How long does it take you to load into the game?

2 Likes

I load in fully in about 3 seconds or so… yes no movement still using WASD.

1 Like

Alright I did the only thing I could think of that might fix it: adding a small wait to the movement local script. Hopefully that fixes it. If it doesn’t, I’m not sure what is causing it to not work for you, since it works fine for me and some other people.

2 Likes

So for the first 5 seconds of the game, the rover looks like this:

then the middle wheel only on this screen side drops down to the floor by itself, the head shakes a bit, then everything is still… all the other controls work, however they are glitchy at times with how they move, very jittery still.

1 Like

I am glad to see that someone is working on a new or-space game. I and my team have some highly experience modelers and programmers so when we work on our Mars game, hopefully, we don’t overtake you. I love the progress so far!

Apologies if this sounds like me bragging, I actually mean that I hope that you can continue to improve the game so that you can keep in the spotlight.

2 Likes

The hinges are jittery sometimes, I tried to make them as smooth as I could. The wheels are sometimes a little funky, but they don’t glitch out like they used to.
The rover drops to the floor because when you load in, the rover is inside a transparent box, otherwise it’d fall through the ground since the terrain hasn’t loaded yet.

1 Like

Thanks! Wow, I wish you guys luck on your game! I work on this as a solo developer, though I have a friend who makes most of the models in blender, and I script them and add them into the game. I’m not exactly trying to make this game to become some big dev or anything, I just want to make a game that’s fun and enjoyable for players (and maybe a little educational).

3 Likes

Wait you have the vehicle inside of a box and then you make the box not collide? im confused.

1 Like