Feedback on my game scenery / environment

Hi, I am working on some scenery for my game. Any feedback or criticisms regarding the lighting, or decoration would be much appreciated. (Ignore the activate windows water mark lol)

10 Likes

Looks nice. image
In my opinion the intersection lines here shouldn’t cross.

Maybe add some traffic lights or signs?

3 Likes

I agree with your opinion; I’m aware of this particular issue, and many others small details. However this is only a prototype of what I am planning to build, these issues will be resolved when the actual map is constructed. Moreover, additional features such as traffic lights and signs will be added later down the line.

1 Like

Change the skybox to a better one, the default roblox one is too blueish

Looks really nice! Maybe you could make some buildings to fill the blank areas.

1 Like

It looks decent. Though I can’t really give that much feedback since I don’t know what you’re going to implement this into. If it has buildings, traffic lights, terrain, etc… whatever other features. It’s nice nonetheless. Well done.

1 Like

Could you link an actual decent skybox? I can’t find any good skyboxes in the toolbox.

It’s hopefully going to be a tycoon game of some sort, where roads are connecting each tycoon.

Those blank areas will be filled with road, trees and mounds. I don’t think buildings being placed in empty spots would really help the overall theme of the game, I would rather use terrain or environmental features to help hide those blank spots.

1 Like

Type in Blue Skybox HD Ocean Map Sky or Sunset Sky (HD) and pick the first one

1 Like

I don’t want to be rude or anything, just giving my opinion. No offense, but the build is blocky… and the atmosphere just feels quite unnatural…

One thing I’ve noticed is that the trees are in low-poly and have no texture, which is easy enough to accept. But one thing that’s hard to understand is the texture of the grass. Low-Poly cannot be combined with every realistic texture out there, because then it’s a very noticeable difference in the overall atmosphere.
The sidewalk edges are also poorly designed since on one side they’re round (and they have way too much polygons to fit the low-poly trees.) The other side is just rough, and that’s a bit odd…

Another problem I’m having are the street lights and the bushes. The bushes are just not detailed enough and their texture does not fit well with the trees and the street lights do not fit the low-poly style very well.

Overall, Low-Poly is a very strange style to work with, because although it may seem easy to work with because of the quick modeling process, it’s actually very difficult to make entire worlds look appealing with a lower number of polygons. In conclusion, very deceptive style.
I hope you don’t take this as an offense, but rather, learn something from it.

I’m sure you have played jailbreak before, that’s where the low-poly trees and detailed terrain combination comes from. In fact they are the same trees used in jailbreak, and the landscaping here is very similar to jailbreak , and I wouldn’t say jailbreaks overall look and design is bad. Also just to clarify the right hand side of the map on the firs t one is not finished yet. I can sort of see your problem with the lighting, maybe the atmospheric setting need to be tweaked.

Image from roblox jailbreak

As you can see they have managed to combine both a low poly style and realistic grass and terrain textures which opposes your original statement:

But one thing that’s hard to understand is the texture of the grass. Low-Poly cannot be combined with every realistic texture out there,

1 Like

Like I said, not every low-poly model can be combined with realistic environments, but I never said all can’t be. Another thing is, I’m just giving out my own opinion and I did not mean to offend you in any way.

If you want to become a better developer, learn to accept constructive criticism. You’ll need it later on in your career.

I feel as if I see this type of scenery in a lot of games. Maybe add some trash cans or benches, so it’s more creative.

1 Like