Feedback on my GFX

Hey y’all! Currently I’m working on some renders for a game. It’s my first time really getting into thumbnail renders. Right now I’m working in Blender and adding minor tweaks in paintdotnet. I know I need to improve on lighting. I was wondering how I should go about doing that. Additionally, I want my photos to have a little more depth in terms of materials. I’m using normal maps but they don’t turn out. A big inspiration for me is the game Emergency Response: Liberty County. Any tips on how I even start to be as skilled as their thumbnail GFX artists?

Thanks in advance.

18 Likes

It looks good and realistic, you have to work on the shadows & lighting. Keep up :+1:

3 Likes

This looks really nice!
I feel like making the police lights active would add to it.

3 Likes

I almost pooped my pants when I saw this. It has that perfect mix of realism and robloxness. All you need to improve on is adding a little detail like making the police lights active, adding sunrays, making more deeper shadows and giving the headlights a bit more detail instead of them being white voids. If you search up dodge charger models, you will see the have a little LED light strip in the light for like daytime running lights, etc, I think adding that will take away the feeling of a white void. Otherwise, perfect. (I also really like police roleplay games so thats why I love this)

I really need to know how to do this, maybe a private message explaining how you render and make this would make my day? And I am seriously considering downloading this image and making it my wallpaper for a few days. Its THAT good.

4 Likes

Love the trees! Lighting and sky don’t match up, also it could have textures. Only thing you need to improve is lighting and textures. Otherwise; everything is amazing.

2 Likes

Its really good for a starter thumbnail artist! Here are some tips I can give you.

You might want to use a HDRI to light your scene. That will remove the double shadows and will make the image look less flat.

Next to that the “STATE TROOPER” text on the side of the vehicle is stretching upward. So you might want to change your texture or your unwrap.

But I feel that one of the biggest issue is your composition. I can’t really explain how to fix this because its such a big subject. But I advice you to google some video’s about it. And learning how to make your image look better!

EDIT: When looking for good and 100% free HDRI’s look up hdriHaven

3 Likes

Great lighting, would be cool if there were more things going on in the scene!

1 Like

Looks amazing! Maybe make the car more shiny and make the police lights active but other than that there’s nothing I think you can improve on. Amazing work.

2 Likes

There is a lot to unpack here. Technically its a good scene, but lighting and also composition are the main things that will improve your art. I will never be able to put it all in a single comment, I’d recommend you to watch all of the Blender Guru tutorials on it.
Its a lot of content, but this playlist on lighting and this video on composition, aswell as this video on color should give you a good idea on what to do with your images.
Videos on car photography, even if its not made for GFX are also packed with tons of useful information on things like reflections.

And dont forget, dont be afraid to hide things, having a good composition and balanced lighting is alomst always going to be better than showing off some random details.