Feedback on my police station? [UPDATE!]

I know this is the wrong spot for this. But I don’t have access to the cool-creations category yet, And I built something that I want feedback on.

I finished building a police station for my game, and I want feedback on it.

If the images don’t load don’t panic because I updated my police station and now I have to change the pictures!

Here is a video tour (Because I am too lazy to create, edit screenshots :P):

My finger accidentally slipped on the save button before I was done! Hold on.

For those who want to own this, DM me on the devforum to order it. I don’t know the price for it yet so Idk how much it will be (Maybe we could make a deal).

The reason I am making it cost is because I will be using it for my game so I don’t want people stealing it or owning it without giving me revenue.

I am also having issues with my router so if I don’t respond for a while that means I am offline due to an issue with my router. It should get fixed soon!

2 Likes

Things you can fix up.

you can fix is the police station text is not going to be good adding it to the window maybe you can do. Add the text of a block with the text on the top of building, you can also change the color you can add brick at the bottom. And also the white in the middle of it try scaling the helicopter platform down a little and you can also add some chairs so people can sit at.!

May i ask also what are those green, lines on the top of the ceiling, that’s all you really need to fix…

1 Like

The building looks giant compared to the NPCs. I suggest scaling it down a bit

Is that floating grass? Grads or not, definitely should fix that.

1 Like

Cool Creations is usually used when you need feedback on a large chunk of work as opposed to a singular building. This category is also fine for requesting advice or feedback on smaller builds. In terms of accessing the category, make sure you check out the post approval process (available in both the DevForum rules and the New Member FAQ, both of which were sent to you when your trust level was upped to New Member).

That being said, the abundance of images is much appreciated - it allows those who are viewing this thread to get a larger perspective of the structure you’re working with and thus opens up more opportunity for extensive feedback. Personally, I’m no builder, but I can identify parts that need some work when I see them.

Overall, it’s certainly a nice start. There’s definitely some improvements to be made and that’s okay - building is something that requires a lot of practice (at least it’s not too much delving into material like with programming… lol).

That being said, let’s go.

First, ninth, fourteenth and fifteenth image

I couldn’t really discern what the pieces at the top were for - the black boxes. They seem kind of randomly placed. I’m not too sure what you were trying to accomplish with this image, so if you have some kind of reference image to share, that would be amazing.

The helipad also feels a little too bricky, tall and out of place on the police station. If it isn’t necessary, I would probably remove it as well - chances are that you probably wouldn’t have a helipad on a police station on the side of the road.

The text lettering feels a little jarring to look at, given the spacing and positioning.

I would honestly prefer a sort of sign on top of the building or a logo as opposed to giant lettering scattering the windows in neon. It doesn’t fit, or that’s at least from what I can see.

Second image

I’m not too sure I have much to say here. There’s only three things that uncomfort me here:

• The glass is right on the floor of the building.
  • The flooring could use more assets, such as carpeting or a different design that separates the floor of the inside of the building from the parts extruding outside.
  • I have no clue what the below item is. If it’s a door, it doesn’t look like it’s really sitting right.

Third, eleventh, fourteenth and fifteenth image

Too much neon.

Way too much neon. This is not particularly pleasing to look at. I would recommend trying to reconfigure those items, whatever they are, so that the neon doesn’t stand out over the rest of the building.

Fourth and fifth image

Once again, too much neon. It’s even worse this time.

Assuming the green parts are meant to be a part of a computer box, you may want to look into a way to build those boxes without overdoing the neon. There are various computer racks you can reference from that don’t overdose on neon. If you do have to use neon, make it at least stand out less.

Rough example I just scrounged up randomly off the internet:

This image also highlights to me how particularly bland and flat the building is. There’s not many materials in play and the roof is… quite low. At least from the camera perspective, it seems that way.

Sixth image

What is this?

That aside, I think your tables may need a bit of upgrading. I’m not too sure wooden tables would be used at a police station; even if, they wouldn’t be ultra thin. The sheer amount of computer systems on the table would snap this

in many different ways. The supports themselves would snap as well. It’s rare that you get a single long table with only four legs. You’ll want to look into increasing the size of the table from thin to an acceptable size. Here’s another random image I got off the internet:

Obviously you’re not working with cubicles so this isn’t the best example to work from, but it’s enough to highlight my concern about wooden tables as well as the size of them.

Seventh and eighth image

I’m not sure brick really works for this situation. Especially not if you’re using the brick material. I’m not quite sure what would be a better fit in this scenario, but it’s certainly not brick.

The cell doors feel a little too high to the ceiling,

and they feel more like grates than actual cell doors. Very blocky grates.

I’m not sure if you intended to get a cafeteria feel for this next image, but it hasn’t really worked. Chairs are missing, the tables are too orange (and blend disgustingly with the floor) and they’re quite linear. I would suggest investing in a larger area, spreading tables out and adding kitchen space. You may also want to change the colour of the tables or add accents/lining around it to separate it from the floor.

Sixteenth image

Only criticism, since I’ve already poked at the black boxes and the appearance of the helipad, is the ladder.

As far as ladders go, I would probably make the ladder a little thinner. If you experience issues with the ability to climb, you can add an invisible truss along the ladder which will be climbed upon instead of the ladder parts themselves.

On the other hand, if you decide to flatten the helipad and get rid of the stairs, you might find interest in using a staircase that rounds the helipad.

Keeping a hexagonal shape in the case that you give the helipad a makeover is fine, but you’ll want to make it feel less blocky. For me, this is typically by adding more details to the helipad to take away from it’s simple nature and instead to speak to me like “this is a helipad”. In case working with a hexagon is hard, you can also expand up to an octagon or further. It’s all about experimenting what fits best.

Seventeenth (and final) image

Now that I get to look at the black boxes up close… I’m sort of confused.

Which one of these were you attempting to achieve with the top image? In the future, I would probably look towards changing the shape of the roof fans or giving them more of a personality other than a decal and a block. But that’s alright, you don’t need to immediately get into all that - start simple and work up from there.

That’s all from me. I don’t really have any way to conclude this, so I’ll just tell you this much: good work as it stands for now. Always try to experiment around and see how you can improve your builds, with reference images or trying out new things. The path to improvement is long (and probably doesn’t end either). Good to see that you’re taking up an interest in building and want to improve!

On another note… if you have wood grain, you might want to throw that into your post as well. Use of materials on assets in your build is also something that fits into the scope of a feedback thread and wood grain is no exception.

6 Likes

I had my graphics all the way down

That was a union that I enlarged

It is a revolving door.

Sorry MyBad…

Those are servers. The computer hardware are rather behind the screen.

Keycard door

Jailbreak uses bricks in the cell area.

How else am I supposed to make them lol? With cylinders?

Thats a free-model mesh.

For the AC - Units as @wevetments said - " It could definitely be used in games that bring back the old roblox feel" - May 18, 2019 In a different topic

The whole thing itself is WIP. Eventually I will improve it.

Those are constraints. Oops…

My bad

Even if, this doesn’t feel like a good fit. It feels shoehorned into the building and a little too big. I’ve made other suggestions, such as flattening it down or giving it more volume. Though, given that this is an early stages build, something detailed isn’t demanded. It can be improved later.

Well, you see, even a server rack does not have that much neon, if any at all. If there is neon or anything glowing, then it doesn’t consume the majority of the part - it’s rather a small portion.

In the images I replied to, the green neon pieces make it difficult to see the rest of the server. Take this front row one for example, where neon almost completely consumes the box and diminishes its visibility.

The rack should have more visibility than the neon.

Where exactly is the door? Either I can’t see it, or it’s blending in with the wall. On that topic - I can’t even see the reader? This is a very confusing build over here.

From sheer gueesing, I think what I’m looking at is:

Top box represents the window and the bottom box represents the reader. If so, you may want to make the door stand out more from the wall that it’s on, whether that’s making it a different colour (highly recommended) or adding a threshold for the door.

That keycard reader is extremely massive too.

Fun image from the internet (thanks Unity/UE4):

I don’t really play Jailbreak so I don’t know how this looks. Even then, the main point I wanted to highlight to you is to ask yourself whether you believe it fits there or not. Your structure is your own, so only you can decide that; another game shouldn’t be the deciding factor for you, but rather an inspiration or reference for what you’re interested in.

I never said anything about changing the shape, though you can change the size and the make of the cell door. You can reference real jail cell doors for this as well. To make matters easier, I’ll show you what a cell door I think would look like and what cell door I currently see from your build.

What I would’ve preferred:

What I saw:

5 Likes

My only thought would be the scale… That is a pretty massive building with tonnes of parts. How many buildings are going to be in your game? As you know, games that have an over abundance of parts will lag, especially on older devices.

1 Like

A lot of it just seems copy and pasted for filler. Not that filler is bad dont get me wrong. But you could probably create different designs for the ac units, desks and pcs. Maybe make the place a bit more round instead of all blocky.

3 Likes

Remember that this is my first build that I am showcasing here. After some time I will get better… Then better… Then better at building!

I don’t really get the police station vibe. Too me it feels more like a bank or a office. You could maybe make the neon parts transparent for less Neon bloom.

1 Like

I updated it. Now it has less bloom.

1 Like

I updated my police station! Now it has some minor improvements that could be done in a day or less.

Smaller Helipad:

And better Neon :smiley:

Doors are no longer blending in with the Police Station.

This is a bit better now.

I now made the AC units a bit realistic.

Wait, he wasn’t talking about the cell area though… He was talking about the grate/big brick slab pattern in images 7 and 8

1 Like

Well. I would add a bit more unique design to the outside of the structure. The inside of the building looks a bit repetitive. I would overall try making the interior more modern and try to rearrange things.

1 Like

One thing before I give feedback:

You said that the topic is in the wrong spot because you don’t have access to the cool-creations category, but you ARE in the right topic because you are looking for feedback on your build. That’s building support in a nutshell.

Now it’s time for actual feedback. First of all, I haven’t seen a single police station that has MASSIVE text along the windows that says “Police Station”. Instead, you should make a logo. This is what I mean:
police%20department%20logo
Secondly, the roof seems too flat. Add more stuff to the roof like for example another heli pad, maybe even a second floor, etc. The third thing I have to say is that the colors are too bright. Maybe you should consider toning down the brightness of the colors (unless you’re going for a cartoony style.) The prision yard (I assume it is one) is empty. There is nothing to do. Add exercise equipment, maybe soccer balls, etc.

Well, that’s basically all I have to say. My rating for this build right now is a solid 7/10.

1 Like