Feedback on my source engine clone (Alpha Version/Proof of concept)

I’ve been working on this off and on for a long time and i finally got it somewhat working. It’s missing a lot of features right now (ex. vgui, proper shadows, etc) but i think enough is present for me to open the alpha or proof of concept version. Please leave any feedback or criticism so I can see how I can improve the game.

Current features:

1. Server-controlled item system
  2. Movement ported from Quake III
  3. GoldSrc HUD
  4. Console with command system
  5. Viewmodel

Currently every item has to be a retextured crowbar and its too funny to fix

Game Link: Flatgrass Classic - Roblox

Enter help for a list of commands, proplist for a list of props you can use ,and toollist for a list of tools!

3 Likes

can you maybe explain a little more what it currently does vs vanilla roblox? Are you eventually aiming to try and replicate garry’s mod or something like that?

Currently it has some tweaked logic for things like spawning and loading in, has a nearly perfect recreation of the HL1 health bar, has a custom item system (UI isnt finished but the logic for changing items is there, only crowbar is enabled currently), and has an item viewmodel.

im planning on trying to get it as best of a source recreation as I can then add the tool gun from gmod to that place and add gmod features there and try and make a HL2-style game using the engine

It’s good. The graphics are mostly accurate, and props work, but there’s lack of some QoL stuff like a commands list.

And there’s output spam. This will lag studio for sure.

2 Likes

Update!

I added source-like movement using Quake III movement as a reference
Spam has been removed from the console
Added a respawn command (3rd command in total, 2nd that does something besides enable use of cheating commands)

When you spawn the trashdumpster01a you can fly. Who needs cheating commands?

You just reminded me to finish working on my not-broken spawning system

cheating commands as-in like godmode

Update! I fixed prop spawning being broken and enabled a tool-gun style item spawner (no GUI has been made so you need to change tools and props via commands)

You could add command history in console with the up and down arrow keys
You could make the console textbox autofocus
You could disable movement while console textbox is focused
:slight_smile:

I wonder if this would be helpful.

ive been trying to get it to work for the thing as it does have that source-esque lighting but it either crashes due to the lights being nil or runs for too long without yielding (both versions)

i can get it to work in test places but not my place