Feedback on my Talent Hub Portfolio | Why can't I find work?

Hey there, I’m using the Talent Hub as my portfolio and I’d love to get some feedback on it.

In addition, I seem to be declined at almost every job I’ve applied for, but I don’t know the reason as to why. I have been applying to jobs on the Talent Hub ever since I got my hands on it when it went public. I have experience in a plethora of fields with work to back it, yet I can’t seem to get any jobs. Anyways, I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Link to my Talent Hub Creator Page: Talent Hub

Edit: My response to job post usually are something like this:

“Heyo. I have 2+ years experience 3D modeling using Blender. Other skills of mine, and examples of my work, can be found via my Creator Page. (I’d make some comment here about the post itself if need be.) Thanks for your time & consideration, Reditect.”

6 Likes

You could just be unlucky since a lot of talent hub users only checks it once a few months.
Anyways, if you do modeling for a considerable price that’ll be interesting for a lot of people.
Try HD and Fiverr as well!

2 Likes

I don’t see your portfolio.

it just says This creator does not have public profile yet.

2 Likes

It was fine when initially posting this, but the mods have to manually approve profiles from my understanding. :person_shrugging:

Edit: It seems fine on my end, no warning sign thing or mod note.
Here’s a video of it:

2 Likes

The Talent Hub is terrible. They should go back to Portfolios and Recruitment on the Devforums. Since the switch myself and many friends have had a bad experience with the hub. I try my best not to use it anymore.

6 Likes

You dont get anything because the talent hub is dead and nobody checks it.

One thing that has worked really well for me is images. Images are shown on previews of creator pages so an image heavy portfolio is essential- try to take pictures of your best works and upload them to your page and dedicate sections to them. If you’re looking to work for 3d modelling commissions only, it might be a good idea to actually deprecate a few of the sections in favor of categorizing assets.

Here’s a section in my page, for example (apologies for blurry images)

Additionally, I’d advise against using game links in favor of using images- people looking through portfolios want to see work quickly- they don’t want to sift through a game to see your work.

Tl:dr -
Use more images, focus more on individual assets, and use game links less.
Hope this helps

2 Likes

Portfolio looks nice. Quick question, how did you embed the image?

1 Like

I made a personal discord server, put the image in that, and then used markdown to add the image. (copied link from the “open original” prompt in discord for image.)

Code:

![My Profile Banner](upload://kQUuTxXFQDExk9tL9FwfO7fBwXY.png)

What it turns into:

Example code to make it easier:

![title](image link here)

I’ve been having a lot of trouble getting jobs, I either get ignored for weeks on end or rejected within 12 hours. I’ll definitely use these tips, as the portfolio is probably what people use to judge other’s skills. I do worry others cannot see my portfolio or something, as I do have one that lists some previous games I’ve made, but it is a pretty weak portfolio so I’ll redesign it.

The talent hub as a whole needs some major reworks however, half of the people don’t understand that they need to pay the people they’re hiring, and the other half are too corporate and need the absolute perfect candidate (which is understandable, but annoying). They also need to remove “inactive” posts when a poster doesn’t check up on the talent hub within 72 hours. There’s definitely more that should be done as well, however a large amount of it just lies in the users who use it. Anyways, enough of my complaints, basically we need a rework.

TL;DR: the talent hub needs better users, and better features. They might not have control over the users, but hopefully they can at least adjust some of the features.

2 Likes

The Talent Hub is problematic because it’s free. A $1 per month subscription, for employers, could potentially lead to something of value.

I’m assuming you’re trolling, but if not, that’s a bad idea. Pay-walling the community to use the Talent Hub doesn’t make sense as it was made to be an official place for finding/post jobs.

If it costs money, then people would use the arguably less secure and unofficial and free HiddenDevs or another Discord Server.

I don’t think it’s problematic because it’s free, I think the people behind have been playing catch-up for years, improving what/when they could on it. Previously mentioned issues in this thread aren’t much of an issue. There’s an aged up audience, a filter for ID verified people, an 18+ filter so we can do contracts easier, and the acquisition of Guilded which can be an alternative to Discord for more communication in a job.

There’s also the factor of change that more are apprehensive to, no matter how good or better the Talent Hub gets. Not everyone is going to be happy, but I digress.

The comment is about subscription for employers.

To clarify, you’re saying for employers to make a job post, there should be a monthly subscription?

If so, I think my points still stand. There are already filters to seek a more mature audience. I say that as I assume the goal of a subscription would be to stop unprofessional posts. And in that regard, it would do more damage than good.

1 Like