Feedback On Our First Game

The biggest problem that I’ve encountered so far is the Thumbnails. I haven’t tried it yet as I don’t have time at the moment but looking at the thumbnail could really drive players away with all due respect. You know how they say never judge a book by its cover? I can assure that that saying is completley looked out of context on Roblox. As @ViroGatYT said earlier, the thumbnail does seem a bit click bait and rushed in reason for getting the game out there possibly, A nice GFX thumbnail can really help out with making the play amount higher and least likely to leave a dislike on the game. I will check out the actual game later! =D

1 Like

The game is ok, and I’m happy you do this with your son. But free models aren’t good if you use them all throughout your game. Some free models are ok, but you should try to learn to build and code.

I would say this is a pretty decent start into developing on Roblox since you mentioned on the title that it is the group’s first game.

Unfortunately, I find the game quite confusing to play. You start off in a field but not really any clues on what needs to be done. I’m also not sure what you mean by:

Some players might like it but there isn’t really adequate amount of instructions to play this game. It pretty much feels more like an open world game than a game where you have an objective.

The environment is quite empty, I don’t really see much around the player. However, do try to add more stuff like buildings or trees, anything which you like in the game. Try not to leave the area just the terrain.

I suggest you try to work on improving your building and scripting. There are many resources for this to help you.

1 Like

Ok, so I want to explain three things before I move on to my suggestions.

First, not many people looking at a new game will show indefinite patience. It’s not just kids having short attention spans. People want to be guaranteed, in the first 1 or 2 minutes that they play a new game, that they actually want to play it. Otherwise, they’ll likely move on to something else. The exception to that is if people are testing the game out, like most of us are right now.

Secondly, if you’re going to use the ‘unaided exploration’ concept, it needs to be decently executed if it’s going to maintain people’s interest. Usually this is done by creating an aura of mystery or adventure, mainly through the setting, alongside actual game features like UI and NPCs. This game simply doesn’t motivate people enough to explore.

Third, people put more initial trust in games that look visually interesting. To your credit, the thumbnail kind of does this (idc if it’s clickbait), but the game itself is pretty bland. No UI, not many structures, and not much scripting. It’s not bad, but it’s not captivating.

Looking at your replies, I think you severely underestimate the importance of first impressions. People can’t see the entirety of your game, so if what they see at first doesn’t interest them in any way, they’ll likely leave. Please don’t take this as me saying “First impressions are all that matter”, because that’s not true.

As for what to add, I suggest a simple explanation of what you’re supposed to be doing. I know that you don’t want to do this, but in reality, leaving people clueless on what to do makes this game look aimless, especially since it’s not too strong in terms of quality.
Next, make the gems more frequent, so people get rewarded for the copious amount of walking they have to do.
Finally, make the points system more logical. There’s little to no chance any normal person would figure out the current system on their own, so they’ll simply just ignore it. If anything, I’d just tie it to the collection of gems and nothing else.

This is an incredibly bulky post as feedback on your first game, but you’re clearly a competent person, so I trust that you’ll understand most of what I said.

Still not sure why it’s click bait. This is an advertisement for the game. Not sure why you wouldn’t like the red eyes, just trying to make the bunny look menacing. It’s kind of a joke, right? A little harmless bunny is now a dangerous creature.

Is a promotion a click bait, in your opinion? Like if we were to advertise “Premium player get a free game pass”. Is that click bait, or a promotional offer? Are they the same thing? On the web, and here in Roblox Land, we need to promote stuff to get impressions and clicks.

I think earlier today I saw somewhere a real click bait, like you click something and they direct you to a page to sell you something. We’re not doing that.

1 Like

Ok, thanks, good points. It is true that games, like web sites have a short time span, seconds, really, to convince the user to stay. Also, please note, this a work in progress.

We came here to get some constructive feedback, thanks for yours. However, it seems that dev forum people and actual users have quite different opinions.

I wonder, did you get past the first level? Because it seems like most people here did not. In the short description space (255 characters) there’s not much room to provide a decent set up. On one of my replies, I did provide an overview of the various levels, we just don’t know the best place to spell this out on the game page.

In any case, we do indicate in the description that it’s an arcade/aventure game, maybe also need to indicate “MULTI LEVEL GAME”, so as to not disappoint anyone.

I am taking much of the feedback here with a grain of salt. I haven’t noticed any people posting who have a game that hits all the points you mention. It does seem like some of those posting have formed opinions without really going through the whole thing. Maybe our description should carry a warning, as you have done on your work: this is game development in progress. In any. case, from our past experience getting help on the dev forum for scripting issues, I had expected more constructive feedback.

If you do go to subsequent levels, I think you will be rewarded with interesting terrains, sound design, and a variety of scenarios. There are, in fact, structures, and quite a bit of scripting. I hope to provide specifics in later posts.

Thanks for the feedback. What I meant was some people like the vague setup and want to explore the 3D places in the different levels. We were thinking along the lines of a game like “Myst”, but with levels.

I am still amazed about the comments saying there’s no instructions. We have not seen any Roblox games that do that. Most games, on different platforms require you to just start playing and figure it out.

Perhaps this is simply a question of including in the descriptions THIS IS A MULTI LEVEL ARCADE GAME. WIN EACH LEVEL TO ADVANCE TO THE NEXT LEVEL.

If you do try the game again and can go up some levels (careful, there some puzzles that require you to explore!), you will find some interesting terrains and interactions that actually were done with rather intricate scripting. Perhaps we will share some of our scripts in later posts.

Why do you say free models aren’t good? Roblox gives you the option to use hundreds of models, audio clips, and more. And they seem to encourage it. By using free models we were able to focus on our storyline, terrains, and scripting. We just don’t have the time right now to learn Blender and the free models we use are working fine for what we want.

Not sure why you would think we don’t do our own terrains and scripting. This game is actually intricately scripted.

You don’t really need to give specific instructions, but the objective needs to be clear for the player to understand what to do. It’s pretty much like giving table parts to a robot but not telling the robot anything, they wouldn’t know what to make with the parts. Try to indicate in the game what to do. You don’t need to give instructions on how to do it if it is meant to be a game where the player needs to find out what to do.

Maybe you should add a UI which explains what has happened “A sinister intergalactic force from another dimension has infiltrated Earth.” and something like “Save the world by completing different tasks!” or somewhere along the lines, then it would be more clearer. This UI pretty much acts as an introduction to the game so that players understand more about what to do in the game.

2 Likes

UPDATE BASED ON SUGGESTIONS:

Ok, by popular demand (on the Dev Forum, anyway), we have added a GUI pop up at the beginning of the game that provides the objective and description of the game. @ChocRBLX’s suggestion of basically taking the description from the game page and inserting it into the GUI was the solution that most closely matched what we came up with.

COMING SOON: To indicate to players that they have won points, in addition to the sparkles, we will briefly display a numeric value of the points as the player scores.

Hopefully, some of the people who dismissed the game without even playing through one level will now be happy!

Remember:

THIS IS AN ARCADE GAME. You have to avoid getting killed by the bunnies, then score points, and get to the next level!

THIS IS AN ADVENTURE GAME. You have to explore the world of BAD BUNNIES.

THIS IS A PUZZLE GAME. You have to find the clues and Portals to teleport to the next level.

Good luck and Happy Gaming!!

2 Likes

For your first game, this is not bad! I have seen much worse on the Roblox platform, so I’ll have to applause you for making something that is playable and enjoyable. Although I may not be the target age group to enjoy games like these, I can see how it can entertain a younger audience. Great work! :+1:

Thanks! We appreciate you taking your time to check it out. Quick question: What age group do you think would enjoy this game most? We were thinking 10- 14 year olds.

Based on my experience and the theme of the overall game, I would say 8-12 year olds. Personally, I don’t see 14 year olds enjoying these types of games.

Great. Sounds right to me. I think this is also most of Roblox audience anyways.

1 Like

One thing I saw is that the link to the game is web.roblox.com not www.roblox.com which makes me think your using your current account as an alternative account because your other account is under the age of 13. Is this true? I don’t think that is allowed.

No sorry, I was logged into my son’s account when I got the link.

2 Likes

Logged into my account to get the link I did not know there was a difference between web.roblox.com and www.roblox.com.

2 Likes

Oh I see, alright. Sorry for the misunderstanding I was just making sure.

Too much walking, and too many caves that lead to nowhere.

That’s the point of the game bruh theirs always games like this on roblox not something to get mad over

and its a adventure type game what do you expect???