Feedback On Our First Game

Hi,

Creative Digital Studios just released our first game, “Bad Bunnies”. Please check it out and provide your feedback:

https://www.roblox.com/games/5355350184/BAD-BUNNIES-beta?refPageId=15f3b68f-446a-4d64-8358-1996a71246d3

Thanks in advance!

Description:
ARCADE/ADVENTURE/PUZZLE GAME
A sinister intergalactic force from another dimension has infiltrated Earth. Their evil experiment has mutated once docile creatures into a global menace. Overcome the danger, reach the portal in each level, find the secret antidote and SAVE THE PLANET…!!!

Bad Bunnies currently consists of four levels:

The Grassy Plains
Try to crosss the killing fields to get to the Portal, but watch out: It’s raining bunnies!

Bad Lands
Danger lurks in the high desert. You must find the clues in the caves of the killer bunnies.

Forward Base Bunnies
The bunnies are overrunning the base, you must get to the Portal! Move out!!!

Stairway to Heaven
Find the secret antidote and figure out how to kill King Bunny in his Star Chamber.

5 Likes

Hello
There are a number of issues that I noticed. First, there as a lack of directions. When I joined I was hoping for a GUI to pop up explaining the directions. When I saw none, I look at the game description, but the explanation was confusing. In general, I found it hard to figure out what the point of the game was. There was no distinct idea as to what I was supposed to do, there were just rabbits falling from the sky.

6 Likes

In response, please note that the lack of instructions is intentional. My feeling is that spelling everything out removes the potential for mystery and sense of adventure in a game. This is in the spirit of hits like “Sky”, “Isoland 3” and the classic “Myst”. If you recall, “Myst” has an intro that sets up the game, but its pretty “mysterious”. Not that we’re there, but a great adventure or puzzle game is something that you have to figure out. In any case, while I’m not all over Roblox, none of the hit games I have seen provide the kind of detailed instructions you are asking for.

As far as the game description, the intent was to provide a setup that hints at some deeper back story to try and make it more fun and let players use their imaginations. However, this is simply an arcade game masquerading as an adventure game.

Anyway, there is only so much you can say in 255 characters. And it’s really not confusing: it says quite clearly, “Overcome the danger, reach the portal in each level, find the secret antidote and SAVE THE PLANET”. That’s basically it.

If there was space in the description to provide more information, maybe we could more clearly indicate this is an Arcade game, would that help? In any case, you might appreciate it more if you got past the first level and experienced more of the game.

In any case, thanks for your feedback!

3 Likes

Per @skizem, we have changed the game description, as follows:

ARCADE/ADVENTURE/PUZZLE GAME:
A sinister intergalactic force from another dimension has infiltrated Earth. Their evil experiment has mutated once docile creatures into a global menace. Overcome the danger, reach the portal in each level, find the secret antidote and SAVE THE PLANET…!!!

I hope this helps!

PS: other players who have tried the game like the lack of specificity because they like to explore 3D environments/games.

2 Likes

I only have one question…

What’s up with the free models?

1 Like

I agree with ZOMBEIVE. Also, I don’t really like how the bunnies just fall out of the sky. They should spawn when the server starts, then chase you. Instead of randomly gaining points, you should add a “coin-collection” system. Where “coins” spawn around the map, and you have to collect them.

2 Likes

Game Notes:

This is an ARCADE/ADVENTURE/PUZZLE GAME.

Bad Bunnies currently consists of four levels:

The Grassy Plains
Try to crosss the killing fields to get to the Portal, but watch out: It’s raining bunnies!

Bad Lands
Danger lurks in the high desert. You must find the clues in the caves of the killer bunnies.

Forward Base Bunnies
The bunnies are overrunning the base, you must get to the Portal! Move out!!!

Stairway to Heaven
Find the secret antidote and figure out how to kill King Bunny in his Star Chamber.

1 Like

Not sure what’s the question. Is there some problem with using free models? I thought that was part of the whole Roblox thing, the ability to share stuff. I didn’t know of any rule against using free models. For what it’s worth, we do all our own scripting and terrains.

FYI, I have a full time job as a lead software developer, this is a hobby that I do with my son. Building a game already takes enough time, learning Blender and building 3D models from scratch just won’t fit into my daily schedule! :smiley:

Sorry you don’t like bunnies falling out of the sky, I kinda thought it was an original idea! :laughing: Anyway, that is only one level.

If you get past the first level (which might have been difficult for you), you would see that the bunnies do, in fact, chase the player. Also note, points are NOT awarded randomly, I guess you didn’t notice that you get points when you take the right path, and lose points if you go the wrong way.

I guess a coin system is one way to go, but that is not what we have chosen to do. I guess you could call that “creative license”, right?

In any case, thanks for the additional ideas, perhaps that’s something we could use at a later date.

Thanks for the interest!

1 Like

No problem! My bad for not noticing the points thing. Over all, it’s a very good game! I hope it grows in the future.

1 Like

I have to agree with BasePair, there is no clear indication of which way to proceed in your game other than the way we are facing. If you are building this for yourself with no clear help to your average player on Roblox then is a cute game. Instructions do not need to be typed out as a finish line for lack of better word, any slight indicator as to the goal which the player must reach might be helpful. Seeing your responses to requested feedback though am sure you shall just repeat already posted responses you have made. If you want many to play your game you should always keep in mind who your audience is. What makes perfect sense to you as an adult may not play out the same for a younger audience. Good luck with your game.

2 Likes

It seems that the point of this forum is to get constructive criticism, that is why we are here. You are entitled to your opinion, but let’s base our opinions on something. You and a couple people made criticisms which I disagreed with and explained why. Instead of disparaging me for that, maybe you should try to understand our approach and point of view, like @zCrxtix did, and give it a chance, you might learn something.

You are right about one thing: a game, like a software product, should be self-explanatory and the typical user should not require additional explanation. In any case, I don’t think anyone on this forum is a typical user, just by being on a developer forum and identifying as a developer.

We have posted here with the hope of getting feedback from more experienced game developers. Unfortunately, we seem to have only gotten feedback from several people who don’t seem to have even one finished project in their profiles.

Also, please be careful about making assumptions that don’t make sense. Of course we have the target audience in mind. My son (12), my daughter (6) and I built this game, and we have done user testing with a variety of friends and collaborators throughout. So, this is not a case of an adult not understanding what a younger audience might want. FYI, I have made a career analyzing user needs and developing software, so I am familiar with the process.

The main criticism about clear instructions or indications doesn’t follow for a couple of reasons:

1. Most top Roblox games don’t have instructions per se. For example, Piggy, Welcome to Bloxburg, and Adopt Me. Welcome to Bloxburg and Piggy have a “play” button, but that’s about it.

2. Per @skizem’s original comment, we modified the description to clear state “This is an Arcade/Adventure/Puzzle game.” As previously discussed, adventure games, like Sky, or puzzle games, like Isoland 3, or the classic Myst, just drop you in the game and you have to figure it out. (A lot of players, kids and adults, do like this approach.) These are some of the games we looked to for inspiration, and FYI, modeling a product on a preexisting one is typical to the development process.

In any case, thanks for your time. We will be posting further details on some of the coding patterns and techniques we have used, feel free to ask about any of that if you wish.

1 Like

I am truly sorry you feel that feedback was given with any other intent but to help as you asked for. You seem to want to include disparraging remarks about those that are only responding to a post you made. Many here have far more experience than they need to shoutout. So you are assuming also that only users with less experience are responding. Again truly sorry I could not give the proper feedback.

1 Like

Thank you and sorry if you in turn feel you were disparaged.

However, I did not assume anything. When I get comments or feedback, like on technical issues that we have submitted to the dev forum, I always look at the commenter’s Profile. We have gotten feedback and help on technical issues in the past from some really accomplished game developers.

It just seems like the overly critical comments here have come from developers who don’t have anything completed in their Profiles, and also don’t necessarily follow their critiques in their own work.

1 Like

Well thank you for that. Builders rarely have their work on their Roblox profiles as it is usually a comission and once paid for is no longer theirs to claim. I do wish you well, I think it is a wonderful concept for what looks to be a very fun game.

1 Like

Here’s how it went for me:-

When I went to the game page, all I see is that the thumbnails of the game looks like clickbait to me, no offense btw. But the picture of a guy in black suit running was eye-catchy. Also, it doesn’t look that much appealing considering the fact that it just shows that your rig just standing in a terrain and pretty much that’s it. No poses that replicates your game about. You should need to improve that though.

I entered the game, the UI is pretty good, its nice and neat. During gameplay, I’ve noticed that you’re using free models of bunnies as the bad bunnies.(like @ZOMBEIVEroblox have said though)
I like the idea that its just some random bunnies just falling down from the sky and kills you if you touch it.

I thought it was going to be something like Piggy, with an animated rigs and characters . It’ll be really cool is its like that though. That’ll makes things way more fun.

The terrain looks nice with different mixtures of landscapes in it.

Yea, that’s pretty much it.

Hope my feedback upon your game will make better improvements to it for better fun!

If you are asking for criticism but trying so hard to prove that it shouldn’t be criticized maybe this post shouldn’t even be a thing. I understand that to you, you do not think something should be changed/removed but remember your asking to be criticized!

2 Likes

Thanks for the positive and constructive feedback!

Btw, can you be more specific as to why the thumbnails look like “clickbait”? I guess you mean, they are not truly representative of the game?

Actually, the first couple of thumbnails were done more in the spirit of an advertisement (think movie poster), like the guy in the black suit, not a literal representation. But actually, most of the thumbnails are screen grabs of game play. You just need to get to the following levels to see them. Your feedback is good, though, we should be able to improve on this, while actual scenes from the game, they do look a bit like snapshots or postcards.

Yes, we did use free models! I admit it! :laughing: I thought it was kind of funny to use a static rabbit model. Anyway, building one is beyond our capabilities, never mind an animated version. We do use other free models in other levels, I think its kind of fun, for me, building it was like playing with a bunch of toys.

As far as being like Piggy, good idea! Actually, if you get past the first level, the bunnies do chase you! Hopefully we can do animated NPCs at a later date.

Overall, the idea is an multi-level arcade game. Instead of animated characters trying to hit you or slice you with a sword, we have static bunnies, exploding, falling on you, or shooting at you, etc. It’s supposed to be funny, in a way. Each level has a different theme, maybe kinda like Mario or something.

If you like the terrain of the first level, “Grassy Plains”, I think you will also like “The Badlands”, which is desert and caves, and “Forward Base Bunny”, which is a military-themed area in a mountainous region. The finale is “Stairway to Heaven” (there is a hint in that title), basically a supernatural, other-worldly scene with scary/interesting sound design and FX.

Thanks again for your time!

2 Likes

That’s true, but as mentioned, let’s try to focus on constructive criticism. Obviously, as stated, users need to be able to “get it” without an explanation. But this here is supposed to be a forum for exchanging ideas, discussing and improving.

Several people have harped on this idea that the instructions aren’t clear, I would just reiterate that none of the popular games have anything like in-depth instructions. Players are just supposed to dive in and figure it out, explore, that’s part of the fun of it.

I think there’s nothing wrong with discussing and explaining, because if people read an unfair criticism they might not check out the game. And most of the criticism we’ve received shows that those criticizing didn’t even play through the game, rage quit, whatever.

Don’t you think if someone is going to criticize, they should at least play through? It’s like watching the first five minutes of a movie, leaving and then saying it sucks.

1 Like

Ok so if I meant by clickbait I mean something like this:-

clickbait but don't think it is.PNG

As you can see, people can easily spot two minor errors in the picture. Adding red paint on the eyes AND the mouth, where it looks like not clikcbait but yea sort of I guess…