Feedback on Sci-fi Menu UI (Too complex?)

GUI Screenshot

So recently I created this menu GUI however, I can’t help but feel that it’s not very user-friendly. I’ve had a look at some top games for inspiration and have found that many of them do not have a single menu of buttons, instead they have the buttons on the screen at all times. Personally I find this cluttering and often obtrusive.

This leads to a question which is:
Is it preferred to have multiple buttons on screen instead of hidden in a single menu?

Any feedback is much appreciated.
Thanks

9 Likes

I really liked your gui, Here there is some ideas about things you could do :

If you dont like having every element in one part of the screen then you could try to make an especific place in wich the player enters and then some part of the menu apears, i mean by not using gui’s but instead making fisical places.

Maybe that would be more user-friendly ?

1 Like

This is a pretty good start for a menu GUI, I’d say a few eye-candy bits on the UI buttons and other elements would make this a hundred times better. For example you can use TweenService to tween the buttons’ Color3’s and all that. Also make this symbol below flash to white and back to its original color periodically, because why not? It blends in with the background, so you can make it pop out more with the periodical flashing:
I’m asking for the eye-candy bits of the UI, because well, it’s a Sci-fi UI, who wouldn’t have those?

Speaking of user-friendly, you can get some feedback from other dudes, I’m not completely used to UI criticism and feedback yet.

1 Like

It’s a very interesting idea, the problem I see with this is that if not executed correctly, players may not be aware of a given system if they haven’t explored that area of the map. (Especially if you have a large map or a feature that is key to progressing early on.)
This may then require more UI elements to guide the player in the right direction or some other solution.

1 Like

That’s a very good point, but maybe you could just implement the menu parts in some specific area of the map.

@Kiesere Update on some of my feedback. Here are some “eye-candy” examples that I was talking about.

Thing2

1 Like

Really cool, I can see how this could bring a GUI to life (alleviate the static feel) and help highlight the interactive elements. Thanks

Not gonna lie, I originally didn’t know that was a Roblox screenshot. Jesus, you definitely nailed the realistic type game look, good job.

1 Like

It looks quite fine. My only problem is the fact that you’ve chosen black outlines on the text. Yes, they give a ‘glowing’ effect, but I don’t think that’s appropriate for a flat UI.

For the ‘C’ and ‘R’ amounts on your top-right: I’d prefer to align the numbers to the right and raise them up just a little bit.

1 Like

At a glance, I can’t see anything really glaringly wrong with this UI, only minor nitpicks:

• The gold section around the currencies is a bit distracting. Make it silver, or some other color that blends a bit better with the UI. In fact, why not hide it if it isn’t relevant in the given context?
  • Clarify where your close button is and make it stand out a bit more. Give your users a quick and easy visual representation.
  • Ensure your text for usernames either truncates or can support 20-character names (the standby of OnlyTwentyCharacters never fails.)
  • The left side panel feels like it has many unrelated options. Since you’re using the example of the statistics screen here, I would have that display stats such as Kills, Total Experience, Enemy Aces Shot Down, etc. On the topic of this left panel, I would make that simply one menu on the left that tucks away, and turn your main menu into a fancy splash involving camerawork like panning around a plane.

Have you ever played an Ace Combat game? Examine how they do their UIs as well. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with looking at AAA games and seeing what they do and how they do it.

1 Like

It depends, if the buttons are really big, they could probably be annoying, but if it’s all conveniently placed in a square, I think it would work out, having the option to hide it is also pretty good, honestly.

Overall, testing is the best way to…you know, test things, try many ways on how the UI works until you find one that you like.