Feedback on Singleplayer Campaign Game "Vile"

Vile is my singleplayer campaign “flagship” game, and am looking for feedback on it for the next part of this update.
Vile is about corruption, exploration, navigation challenges and robots falling from air vents.

I’ve played through both paths with minimal, if any issues, and am hoping you experience it in the same way.

Before you play:

• Intended experience is on a computer
  • Future lighting is on, so you may lag a bit.
  • Press “PLAY NOW” and not “ROLEPLAY MODE” after joining

After you play:

• Tell me what you like / don’t like
  • Any suggestions you have

Notes:

• 5 worlds including starting world.
  • 2 Paths with 2 Worlds and an ending each.
  • Notes with lore are around most worlds, except for Rotten Ruins. (Will change in Part II)
  • I have a walkthrough on the Evolution Logs Here if you need it, which hopefully you don’t.

Google Form (If you want to get into the ultra specifics & personally tell me your feedback.)
[removed link]

Bonus Feedback: What do you think of these Ads? Would you click on them?

Ads

(I LOVE THESE ONES) ^

Thanks in advance if you hand me any feedback, all is appreciated!

3 Likes

Been looking for a campaign game, it sounds pretty cool!

The objectives could use some indicators that show where things are. Spent a good 10 minutes trying to find whatever the game wants me to find for the statue and then quit.

I’d say it’s overall pretty neat! The platform needs more singleplayer experiences and this for sure is a cool one.

Not an expert in ads, but I believe adding a small text indicating the game is an RP/SinglePlayer experience would hook people who like those more, but again, not an expert in ads.

As for the game, I personally believe that one of the most important things in a game is the first impression. You gotta ensure you hook the player with the story and the world building in order for them to stay, and in that regard I’d say you did pretty good in most aspects, while in some others I believe the game could use some improvements.

First of all, the Player is first met with an intriguing text introduction, followed by a teleport and an objetives GUI indicating they are free to choose what path they want to take. While this isn’t extremely confusing, it took me a second playthrough to realize I was free to pick a path, as well as it just feeling a little sudden. I believe this could be easly solved by adding a little introductory cutscene explaining the player what to do properly.

As stated by another reply, it is not entirely clear either where you need to go in order to find the required items. I suppose the point of the game is for you to explore the map, so straight up indicating where they are would make it pointless. What i’d suggest instead to avoid frustrating the player to the point of leaving, is some sort of clue system, where you either get some auditive feedback as you get near your objetive, or you get additional text hints as the game notices time passes and the player doesn’t find the objetive.

As for later levels, I noticed that in the 2nd level of the first route you are required to bring something for an NPC, looking for it wouldn’t be an issue if the game didn’t pretty much make the player think said thing is inside the cave close to said npc, filled with similar things, and near another objetive. While in reality the objetive is laying at some random close spot instead which made me walk on circles for around 30 minutes.

Other than those small details I found the game quite enjoyable, especially the last level, and I’d love to see more similar experiences in the future.

1 Like

So far some common issues is first impressions, pacing and objectives, which make sense.
I’m working on some clarity fixes and a hint system too so it’s a bit easier, and I’ll finish & publish it once I’m back from school.
Thanks for all of the feedback so far, I seriously appreciate it!

I’ve updated the game to make objectives easier to find and altered the positions of some objects and such to make it more fair. More feedback on these additions is requested. Currently, hints will pop up after 400 seconds / ~6.67 minutes if you haven’t found them, but this might need some tweaking.

I’ve some occasional suggestions to add more exploration / interactive elements, which I’m always open for.

As before, any feedback is good. If you complete one path out of the two, remember to state which one.

1 Like