Feedback on Terrain Generation!

Using another terrain generation method

10 Likes

Wow! That is amazing terrain work, what game is it for?

3 Likes

That’s impressive, it really is… What kind of generation is that? is it made on roblox or did you just simply import stuff from gaea?

3 Likes

Thanks.

The terrain generation isn’t currently for a game atm, just made it for fun.

2 Likes

Thanks,

The first two images are made using Ridged terrain generation while the last two are made using an Erosion simulation.

All terrain voxels and game elements were placed using only Roblox scripts.

3 Likes

Oooh That looks really cool! I think It’s going to be cool to make showcase map with this.

1 Like

You know I have always wanted to get start on making a terrain generation model.

Let me ask. Is it infinite? also is it fast to load in for the player?

I am looking at creating something where you can drive around off road car with a helicopter following you.

One thing I did notice that (personally) I found a bit odd was that the trees are very sparse. How well does it render on a mobile phone have you tested it?

2 Likes

The terrain generation model that the first two images uses can be generated infinitely. Unfortunately, the last 2 cannot as the erosion simulation must happen before the voxels are generated.

The terrain loads in pretty fast as long as you don’t go crazy with the dimensions (the first two images are technically 2000x2000 but I scaled them into 8000x8000 which made them take around five minutes to load). The erosion generation model takes significantly longer to generate because it has to simulate millions of droplets before it can even begin placing voxels.

The trees are very sparse because on the last two images because I thought it would look better that way. You can easily change the tree sparsity by changing a single parameter. I haven’t tested it yet on mobile unfortunately.

This is a very old version, but this place contains the terrain generation of the first two images.

Press Shift+P for a freecam.

1 Like