Feedback regarding Skinned mesh pet

Hey! Recently I’ve been working on a stylised skinned mesh pet that are suitable for Roblox games & catered towards a younger audience. The outcome of this attempt was a Great Dane and I’m looking for constructive criticism!
The photos below show both a textured view, View of the bones’ layout inside the mesh and also A wireframe of the dog itself. In total, This animal is around 8.9k tris.

Bone Layout :

Wireframe :

Finally, a Walk Cycle (I am by no means an animator so try not to comment on this hahah :laughing: – This is just to put into perspective how the rig functions. )

5 Likes

I personally love the animation! You don’t usually see this kind of high quality stuff on Roblox.

1 Like

Can’t quite provide constructive criticism here because I’m totally inexperienced with stuff like that. I agree with @Shamozy , it’s absolutely awesome.

I’m not sure if it’s intentional or not but why are the front and back paws two different colours? I did a quick search and it doesn’t seem Great Danes have that. Is it intentional?

Other than that, absolutely a great job!

I was originally going to have it the same colour as the rest of the fur but it just looked empty so I thought it’d be best to add something to the lower half to balance out the overall texture – the UV’s are mirrored so one side of the texture will always be identical to the other to save on texture space. I appreciate the compliments from the both of you!

1 Like

This looks amazing, good job!

1. The texture, obviously could use tweaking.
  2. The colors should be more popping
  3. The tail is a bit short

Overall, good job! This is amazing, amazing work.

1 Like

Hey! Thanks for the feedback :).
Texturing in a ‘cartoon-ish’ way is definitely something I need to improve on as a whole so I fully understand this one and appreciate the comment and as for the colours, I normally have colour correction on (with increased saturation) in almost all of my games so hopefully this wouldn’t be an issue :)! In normal games without colour correction, I definitely agree with you!
Will definitely tweak the tail length - Might look slightly shorter from the 3/4th angle the photos & video were took from :).

1 Like

Keep up the great work, don’t lose motivation. You’re doing amazing!

1 Like