[FEEDBACK] Stylized Animated Water

https://gyazo.com/afbcf114cb93bd8b0d7517b514ac395d
https://gyazo.com/be7cb01f7f181f4eaf03fa6b02c38d16
https://gyazo.com/ba44b62443d663da5e9f480b468b11cb

Please ignore the sloppy scene; I threw everything together extremely quickly to show off the shore. The upward particles were deleted but decided to stay, please ignore those! :sweat_smile:

There’s still some tweaking to do, but I’m happy with how it’s coming along.

31 Likes

You should maybe more focus the camera on the water, but of what i could see this looks pretty cool!

4 Likes

I love it, my only feedback is maybe add a fade out to the particles? I can see the disappear.

4 Likes

The water itself seems very opaque, which is not how water looks realistically. The waves are too large and slow for such a small body of water.

The particles on the water itself are good. I’m not sure what the particles flying up represent, but it indicates that the water is very hot and is boiling. I’m not sure if this is the intended outcome.

3 Likes

It’s stylized, so it’s not meant to be realistic.

If you don’t mind elaborating and pointing me in the right direction towards improving the look while maintaining the stylized aesthetic, I’d greatly appreciate it.

As for the upward particles, I deleted those after removing a previous scene and they just won’t go away. Instead of redoing the scene in a new studio instance, I just ignored it. I was pretty annoyed by that so kindly ignore those, haha.

3 Likes

Thank you! Please ignore the upward particles. I deleted the emitter and they just decided to stay.

3 Likes

https://gyazo.com/be7cb01f7f181f4eaf03fa6b02c38d16

Here’s a different angle.

2 Likes

If your look is not intended for realism, then transparency is not essential.

This also depends on your style, but sized waves can be applied to any style of water. Sadly, this interferes with the global water settings. Faster waves indicate more intense action, and larger waves indicate deeper water. These waves seem too large from the video, which creates the illusion that they’re deep, and I’m not sure if it’s intended for the aesthetic.

1 Like

It looks very nice to me, how did you make it? Did you create the textures yourself?

1 Like

The size of the waves was just me being lazy with the scene. I plan on using the water as an ocean, so I originally made the waves large and slow. I could have made some quicker and smaller waves to simulate the slight effect wind has on a body of water like the one showcased, but I didn’t feel the need for a temporary scene. I’m working on adjusting some things using a one-time downward raycast from the bones so that the contrast of the waves between deep water and shore is a bit nicer, so that should cover that issue anyways. I appreciate your input.

It would look better if the water was in some way transparent. But other then that, it looks good!

The waves were made using mesh deformation and a gaussian function. The water normal & roughness maps were made in Substance Designer. The splatter is a texture laid on top of the plane. I just went wild with a splatter brush in Photoshop and animated the offsets of the texture using numbers plucked from the gaussian function so it moves smoothly with the waves.

1 Like

The water is slightly transparent. I should have made that more visible in the clips, sorry!

image_2023-09-04_160302450

This reminded me about my realistic water i did about 2 month:

Gotta uploud a version 4 soon lol

1 Like

It’s beautiful! Almost looks like a custom shader. Well down on the aesthetics :+1:

How can I make my own? Lol im curios!

There are a few great resources out there with this being one of them. I recommend messing around with different formulas in Desmos so you can fine tune the wave behavior to something that suits you. Highly recommend dealing with the movement of the water first, then messing around with different textures and transparencies to get the look you’re going for.

1 Like

Thanks!
(Whydoeswehavethislimit)

Hey, great work on this, it’s really impressive for roblox.

I’m working on my own sailing game at the moment and have managed to create a system that can update multiple planes in under 4ms and sync it to all clients, which could make for an amazing final result but due to not being a GFX designer I’m having difficulty creating high quality visual effects for my water as you can see here:

I’m aiming to eventually have a stylized art style, similar to games like Blazing Sails and Sea of thieves

I was wondering if you could give me a small breakdown on how you created the visual effects similar to this image here so I can get an idea of where to begin

Cheers in advance for the help pal

I’ve updated the post for a bit more clarity and detail now

1 Like