FFT Phillips Ocean

Summary

This is an implementation of an Ocean-Spectra, the Philips spectrum, to be exact. It uses Fast Fourier transforms (FFT) to efficiently and quickly generate waves. It uses the EditableMesh instance to its fullest, vertex’s positions and even normals are changed each frame! The project offers wide customizations to artists, to get any type of sea environment that one may need— and it’s even fully open sourced, so anyone can take a look inside and see how it is made. And to top it all of it also includes water caustics using an EditableImage by using Snell’s law in reverse to create almost physically accurate but still fast caustics.

This project took quite a long time to create and finish, starting all the way in September 2023 and ending in April 2024, but do be aware that there were long breaks in between. There is also a good chance that I continue development on this to implement features such as foam (this has been added!), I’ve already looked around and encountered 2 ways of implementing it: using a Jacobian Matrix, which is what is being used in Sea of Thieves (which was a big inspiration for this project), or the naive method that was used by NVIDIA in GPU Gems 2: Chapter 18 where they simply looked at the height of the water to determine the choppiness. Both implementations have their pros and cons but that will ultimately come down to the one that fits this project best.

And lastly I wanted to mention 2 things:

1. A big thank you to the Roblox Staff that chose my project to be showcased in the 2023 Year in Review, sadly the showcase that I displayed there was an older version, that was lacking quite a lot.
  2. The default settings of this project are meant to stress test it, so I greatly recommend you change the Fourier size to 64.

Showcase

You can see both the caustics and water here, caustics are almost physically accurate, so they are dependant on the water…

The caustics are fully linked to the sun, so if the sun is down there will be less light to bounce through the water.

You can fully see the caustics here, which are all derived from the sun and normal of the water. Specifically they use Snell’s law in reverse, so they are very close to being physically accurate while being performant.

I went for a sort of stylized effect here by multiplying the normals by 10.

Want to try it yourself?

Well, fear not, this project is fully open source and available to everyone- do note that EditableMeshes and EditableImages are still not available on live Roblox servers, so you will need to open it in Studio to experience it for yourself. You can find the place here.

Found a mistake or a poorly performing piece of code?

Think you found a mistake or found a way to improve performance? Well, if you did then you can open a pull request to https://github.com/Icy-Monster/Phillips-Ocean. Any and all contributions are welcome and greatly appreciated.

References

Tessendorf, Jerry. (2001). “Simulating Ocean Water.” In “Simulating Nature: Realistic and Interactive Techniques,” SIGGRAPH 2001

Scrawk. (2022). Phillips-Ocean. GitHub. Retrieved from https://github.com/Scrawk/Phillips-Ocean

Finch, M., & Cyan Worlds. (2004). Chapter 1: Effective Water Simulation from Physical Models. In Pharr, M., & Fernando, R. (Eds.), GPU Gems: Programming Techniques, Tips, and Tricks for Real-Time Graphics (pp. 9-29). Addison-Wesley Professional.

Guardado, J., & Sánchez-Crespo, D. (2004). Chapter 2: Rendering Water Caustics. In Pharr, M., & Fernando, R. (Eds.), GPU Gems: Programming Techniques, Tips, and Tricks for Real-Time Graphics (pp. 31-50). Addison-Wesley Professional.

Kryachko, Y., & 1C:Maddox Games. (2005). Chapter 18: Using Vertex Texture Displacement for Realistic Water Rendering. In Pharr, M. (Ed.), GPU Gems 2: Programming Techniques for High-Performance Graphics and General-Purpose Computation (pp. 185-203). Addison-Wesley.

43 Likes

Nice!

Thanks for sharing.

What kinda of performance issues might there be or lag or how big can it be used?

Thanks

Looks killa !

Very cool stuff! I love to see developers utilize new features to make cool things. Can’t wait to see what else you make!

What kinda of performance issues might there be

So a lot of the performance issues come down to the FFT module, I’ve tried and succeeded in optimizing it before but I’ve also sort of given up on it. The module depends on Complex numbers, which are the main reason it uses so much resources. Each complex number is an array (before optimizations it was a metatable), and as we all know indexing thousands of arrays per frame isn’t exactly a fond thing to do. So if anyone is looking to further optimize it I would definitely recommend trying to switch Complex numbers with Vectors.

Also if you’re having performance problems on the default settings but still want to see it, then I’d recommend you set down the FOURIER_SIZE variable, which is basically a sort of resolution of the ocean, which will decrease the amount of computations that the FFT needs to perform.

Nice! Exquisite! Absolutely dashing! Thank you for your effort with this resource! I’m absolutely shocked!

1 Like

What a lovely creation! Can’t wait to use it for my next game, escape shark obby! Do you plan on ever adding sea foam to it?

1 Like

yes, he does (he said that in my dms)

Yes, yes I do. So I’ve been thinking about how to implement the foam for quite a while. I’ve been specifically setting my eyes on 2 methods:

• The more performant one, but less accurate method: basing it off of height - The way NVIDIA went in GPU Gems 2
  • The less performant one, but more accurate: using a Jacobian determinate

Eventually thought I decided to go with the way that NVIDIA went, basing it off of height. I mainly chose this since if you look at a Jacobian graph (image below) it closely resembles the height, and if we just use the height, something we already have available without extra calculations, then we’ll be able to implement it with minimal performance loss.

(Tessendorf 2001)

And here’s the finished product:

1 Like