File Nesting with Visual Studio Code and Roblox Studio?

In many situations in Studio, we may choose to nest some scripts or modules under/within another script or module, for example we have have some support modules who are part of a larger script and it makes sense they should be contained and children, this saves us space in the explorer, shortens paths, and just kinda makes a lot of sense, in Studio.

However, the problem I face is that if I want to use Visual Studio Code and Rojo then I cannot use these organization method because Windows wont allow me to nest a file within a file as I can in Roblox Studio. This then forces me to use another organization scheme, adding lots more folders into my game organization.

I have had people suggest that I should not be nesting files under files, that this is considered bad practice. And yet, I see this all the time in modules available on these forums from respected developers. I have also seen the suggestion that I should use GitHub or similar to handle this, but even that setup from what I can see doesn’t allow me to simply have the files on my own hard drive. I also dont really need Git i just want to use VSC because it is more “ergonomic” for me.

Am I missing something here? Is there a way to keep organizing my files nested under other files in Studio and still use VSC and Rojo without Git?

1 Like