Filming a Game Trailer

Hello fellow Designers out there,

As all of you know, you can upload a YouTube video for your game. I‘ve seen a lot of very well made game trailers out there, which inspired me to make one for my own games. Although the filming of it has crossed my mind. I want to have a trailer where I film the map of my game and then make some cool edits onto that clip, but I‘m unsure what the best way of doing this would be. I don‘t want anything covering the screen (no mouse cursor, no guis, etc.). Do people just screen record they‘re maps in roblox studio? Do they script it so theres no mouse cursor in the way and then just fly around the map, while filming? Oh well I hope one of you guys have a solution for me.

Thanks for reading :slight_smile:
Justin_Limited

9 Likes

Well, by the way, I advise you just to change the cursor to a simple picture where there is nothing
https://developer.roblox.com/en-us/articles/Mouse-Icon-Appearance
I can say nothing more
and I saw another plug-in that makes a cinematic camera there is no Gui

6 Likes

Thanks, that article is helpful! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I want to ask. Throw off the messages when you do it just in the world is boring now.
I’m talking about the trailer

2 Likes

If you have server console access to a game (essentially owning the game or edit access to a group game), you can press left shift + P which will enable a free camera, removing interfaces and the mouse cursor. This perhaps may be something you’re looking for.

9 Likes

I will delete via cCleaner and it helps me for example when there was an error in the roblox client
I know the program is a bit functional but it helped me

1 Like

Oh didn‘t know that all I have to click shift p, thanks!

1 Like

I use the popular cut scene plugin. It gives me the control I need with consistent camera movement without bumpiness or stopping and automatically disables the mouse icon on screen.

I know its deprecated but its still good for this simple task.

2 Likes

Roblox has built in ways to make these hidden.

• MouseIconEnabled for hiding the mouse. (in studio you can just drag the mouse out of the view)
  • For guis, roblox has a built in freecam mechanic when you press shift+p which will hide all the guis.
  • For topbar, you would either have to crop the video or delete the topbar in coregui (studio only).

I doubt they script the camera movement, seems like a lot of work.

2 Likes

Hello there, here is an example: https://youtu.be/iCxhJtq-Yqo We have recorded this trailer in roblox game. Beforehand animating and scripting the place to look just like it is on the trailer. I would also recommend doing so to you if you have the skills. Or you could hire a developer to make it for you if you have funds.
Hope this helps - Sky. :smile:

1 Like

Thanks, I‘ll do what you said and find the best solution.

1 Like

Wow, the trailer is amazing! Good work.

2 Likes

Here’s a couple tips from a video creator who’s made a few trailers.

For cutscene plugins, I find this one to be absolutely fantastic. It’s more recently updated and doubles as an alternative to the default animation editor. You will likely have to record from in-studio, however, as getting cutscenes to work ingame is a hassle.

Also, when you’re recording live game footage using Freecam (Shift+P), you can get smoother, better-looking camera movement by connecting a gamepad. You can also just hold Shift for slower movement.

Lastly, for actually recording stuff you should use OBS; it’s free (open sourced) and well optimized.

11 Likes

Thank you so much. I’ll download the plugin and check it out. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just wanted to mention that if you want to add some nice lighting effects or do animation, Blender is also a great option for filming! It certainly takes more time and effort, but the result can look super professional.

2 Likes

Thank you. Appreciate it. :smile: