Filter for Username Change is broken

Page URL: Roblox
Impact: High
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2021-02-05 05:02:00 (-05:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2021-02-05 06:02:00 (-05:00)

Reproduction Steps:
To reproduce this issue, go to the My Settings, and then open up the username changer. Type in a new username you want.

Expected Behavior:
When attempting to change your username, you should be given an all-clear as long as the name is appropriate and not yet taken.

Actual Behavior:
Instead, there are tons of completely appropriate names that are just being labeled as inappropriate.

Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 5.53.17 PM
Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 5.53.37 PM

A specific pattern I noticed is that usernames with E is always moderated.
As you see, the below username is not moderated. Once I add an e (next screenshot), it is moderated. This is consistent across all usernames that I have entered.
Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 6.00.00 PM
Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 6.00.38 PM

Usernames with a large amount of numbers are susceptible, as well, to unwarranted moderation.

Workaround:

26 Likes

Hey, I’ve noticed this as well. I’ve tested quite a few usernames and I don’t know what the issue exactly is.

It also appears that this issue occurs on the sign up page as well.

3 Likes

I think that the username filter is broken in some way because it also does this on the sign up page and it seems to block random words and phrases that it previously did not. Basic words such as “hello” seem to get blocked out. The username filter uses a different system and behaves differently than the other text filters.

After further messing around with the filter, the letters “m” and “e” as well as the number 3 seem to be blocked by the filter if used anywhere in the username.

8 Likes

This should be URGENT. This is preventing new users from creating accounts.

22 Likes

Thank you for letting me know-- I didn’t realize that before. Do you believe there should be some sort of edit to the post? Not sure this counts as “critical.”

4 Likes

Thanks for the report. We are investigating this issue right now.

19 Likes

This is definitely critical because it’s preventing new users from creating accounts, but there’s no need to change the title because they’re already investigating this issue now.

5 Likes

Do any of you know if there have there been any kind of updates on this? I’ve also come across the issue and just checked the forum to see if it has been posted about.

3 Likes

Names that have “er” at the end aren’t allowed either. Not entirely sure why

Heres another example

3 Likes

No, it doesn’t seem like there have been any updates on it.

Some more screenshots I just took:

3 Likes

Can confirm. Have been having the same issue since earlier today. “bea” was labeled as “not appropriate for Roblox”.

3 Likes

Hey, is this still an ongoing issue? A status update would be very much appreciated.

6 Likes

My username is still “inappropriate” for Roblox? Is this still being worked on?

3 Likes

I would hope so, but the issue hasn’t been fixed for multiple days now. :worried:

3 Likes

i have the same issue on some usernames
a lot of people have full number usernames but 289313 is filtered like bruh

4 Likes

Yes, I have been experiencing this as well. I wanted to change my main account username from pikanight09 to Pikanight09, and ROBLOX said that both names are inappropriate for ROBLOX. They have got to fix this, before more people know and before ROBLOX YouTubers start talking about this

4 Likes

Yeah! I was wondering about this yesterday when apparently the word man was censored and then I kept trying. Good to know the username I want to take isn’t actually filtered I wanted to change it to that a lot lol.

Still happening.

4 Likes

I’ve had the same problem, but also for account creation. Any name I attempt to type in, it says the same:
“Username not appropriate for Roblox”

4 Likes

This issue should now be resolved! If this issue is still occurring, please create a new topic for us to look into.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.