Finale of Part Surface Changes: No More Hinges

Existing vehicles and skateboards won’t break. Existing Rotate JointInstances are not being removed, and will continue to function as they did before this. This is mentioned in the FAQ.

23 Likes

What about inserted models?
Will they not be overridden once inserted?

7 Likes

I currently use the Surface section to see relevant part surfaces through highlighting it (I don’t mark them)… I won’t have the ability to see this anymore if my surfaces are removed without adding instances (to be honest support should exist in the new Lua draggers in my opinion).

For example, sometimes my code relys of the Front direction of a part and I use the Surface list to view faces because it nicely highlights them and isn’t a pain to access (Yes I know I can use a plug-in for this but this makes me sad and that’s not good :cry:)

If the draggers showed relative directions this would probably solve all my problems. :wink:

In the mean time I don’t think it’s worth a feature request so I’ll just use a plug-in or something else.

28 Likes

See Will my old toolbox models and games break?

:wink: :wink: :wink:

4 Likes

What about VehicleSeats?
The documentation mentions hinges, will how will this affect vehicle seats?

I know, it would be 100x better to write a custom vehicle system…

10 Likes

This was handled in the explicit JointIntances change as mentioned int he FAQ.

All models that were uploaded before that change will have their joints created as normal upon insertion to the Workspace. Models uploaded after that change should already have their JointInstnaces created in the model heirarchy, and won’t face any issues.

8 Likes

Yeah, my bad. I’m reading this quickly.

5 Likes

VehicleSeats will go completely unchanged afaik as this only pertains to the creation of new joints within JointsService.

7 Likes

This is making me have flashbacks to the time I tried programming ragdoll physics with no prior physics experience because I didn’t know that Glue joints existed or what they did or that they NOT ONLY BREAK ON IMPACTS but ALSO FUNCTION AS BALL JOINTS??? I only wonder who decided this name and why because I see no relationship to GLUE???

(Shuddering intensifies)

This is a perfect example of why this behaviour should go. Now we have… BallSocketConstraints! And they aren’t a massive pain to make! (Or break on impact…)

10 Likes

So what will be the future of vehicle seats now? I know pre-existing vehicle seats and the joints will be preserved, but what about later on?

8 Likes

Will the surface tool be removed completely at some point? If it has no real purpose anymore so I would just prefer removing it completely to make room for new tools that might be added in the future.

Someday, but some people want to still apply those surfaces for visual aesthetic. So it won’t be removed until there is a better alternative.

15 Likes

I think the best way to do this is using the lovely collection of part adornments that studio provides.

Wow, an arrow! And it only took a cone and a cylinder adornment. People should be using this instead if they desperately need to mark the direction of their parts (if there is nothing else marking the direction already for some reason), rather than trying to use a legacy feature that has had no real purpose for years.

20 Likes

There are no plans to ever cause existing VehicleSeat cars with hinge surface Rotate joints to break, this would be too disruptive to existing games.
Otherwise the future of the VehicleSeat is unknown, it’s functionally deprecated, and has no plans to be updated or improved in any way.

7 Likes

This is cool! Hinges have always been annoying. Glad that this is fixed.

5 Likes

Yes that’s also a good alternative! I’ll add it to the list of alternatives in the main post

8 Likes

VehicleSeats themselves still serve a valuable purpose for scripted vehicles actually. They provide the perfect interface for that type of code because they handle all of the movement and camera stuff for you (I think they’re actually entirely handled in controller modules iirc so there’s virtually no non-lua code in that situation which is what I think is what Roblox is aiming for. (We are seeing everything being ported to lua, the stepping stone originally being controller code which is now leading to, Humanoids as we saw in the AvatarEvolution build, the draggers, etc)

I love the idea that we will be able to modify, and at least see every little piece of code in the engine. I am going to guess Roblox intends (or at least will eventually end up intending) to write a lot of content on the devhub for custom vehicles and such in the future (there’s already quite a bit on there, such as the “car kit”).

This fits with everything that I think Roblox aims to be, and, I look forward to firstly the awesome performance, the awesome lighting, and the awesome modeling features, but, I also look forward to the content Roblox will produce in light of all of this.

7 Likes

I need to create unions with a certain orientation. Back then when SurfaceTypes was a thing (a couple hours ago) I could just go to the properties of the part and click a surface to see that yellow selection in its corresponding face in the union hitbox. But now I can’t :frowning:

Do I really have to use decals, textures or surfaceguis now? That sounds so unprofessional…

Edit: it is still possible if we use the Model > Parts > Surface option to change any smooth surface. I hope they don’t remove this option anytime soon! (Imo we don’t need “a better alternative” for this, but we’ll see. Roblox is making amazing updates lately!)

7 Likes

I’ve been using Hinges for quite some time now and moved on from that into the alternative way which is much easier to control and customize, but seeing that some tools that I usually use to benefit my workflow being deprecated will be sad to see go away from Roblox as I usually use hinges/motors to detect a part side or to make spinning parts function as they should.

(sad 3D Noises) :sad:

A question that I have is that will most of the Developer Hub articles be updated and changed since Hinges/Motors are being removed as some tutorials use them? It might be obvious but I just wanted to know.

I really do prefer some sort of setting where it can show an arrow on all sides and maybe when you hover over it, it can tell you what side you’re moving like FrontSurface or LeftSurface as it would benefit most developers a lot.

Side note on what I said above: Hinges/Motors were something useful for developers now and mostly in 2013-2016 when they had to remember or use those two components from a couple of minutes ago to decide what side is this on for some sort of model; not all of us agree that it was not a reliable solution as it’s so much easier to do so that part I kind of disagree with a bit.

Anyway, I like to see these changes that are coming to September 7th a bit more later or early if I have a certain situation but a concern that I have with removing the surface tool/section is that it will be a bit harder to change and customize part surfaces nowadays as I have to be careful when selecting multiple parts or even a whole model to change the surface that I need, such as Universal, Smooth or Hinge.

^ Only if there was a replacement in the future which I hope. :wut:

Anyway, sad moments into Roblox studio but changes have to be made.

6 Likes

As stated in the original post, they are aware of this use case. However, using SurfaceTypes was not a “professional” solution at all. At the time being, you can alternatively use attachments, adornments, images, or the view selector.

5 Likes

I believe the view selector can also work well in many cases.

3 Likes