Finally released the first official version of my 2D adventure platformer game, Vibrant Venture

Hi all! I wanted to show you all something I’ve been working on with some friends the past year or two. Previously codenamed Project Autumn, today marked the day where we finally wrapped up world 1 and renamed it “Vibrant Venture”.

A very talented artist named @Jurloo recently joined my team as well, and he has been producing some high quality thumbnails and textures. Here’s an example:

I wanted to share this with you all so that you might critique my work and help me grow as a developer. I am very open to suggestions and thoughts, and I would love to hear what you guys think of the game so far. You can find a gameplay trailer and the game link here:

And you can watch a quick gameplay teaser of it here if you’re short on time:

Thank you so much for your time! <3

27 Likes

Very cool! I like how you have other players visible too in each level, clever way to introduce the social component which not a lot of platformers like this do. Also love seeing back some mechanics from my favorite platformer games off-Roblox. :smiley:

Some feedback but this is nitpicky:

• The immediate HUD (i.e. the Floating Action Button) doesn’t really match the cartoony aesthetic of the 3d view / other UI.
  • Camera is slightly jittery sometimes (not always moving at 60fps? unsure)
  • It seems possible to be caught on a damage loop when a moving object scoops you in mid-air.

Also: please please please take out the third party sounds!! It’s such a shame that they’re in there because the rest of it is so good. (Referring to end level tune from mario games, boi-oing sound of jump platforms from sonic, and I think a few more that I can’t immediately place, but I assume some from Rayman?) I’m also sure you can make original sounds that fit the aesthetic even better.

4 Likes

Thanks so much for playing it! I’m glad you liked it, and I will look into the nitpicky issues you mentioned ASAP.

As for this, it is on my to-do list, however I find it to be very time consuming and I’m never really sure where to look for the sounds I need. I will look into replacing the end level tune either way, though I have yet to find anything that fits the end screen transition effect.

Thanks again for your comment, it means a lot to me!

1 Like

You could try sifting through here, it’s 80GB or so of free sounds in all sorts of styles:

1 Like

Haven’t seen that post before, thank you!

Added to my to-play list. Looks amazing!

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

I played it, I gotta say you did an excellent job with this, everything about it is great the controls are easy and its fun to play, its got a nice look to it with all the building and lighting, not to mention the sounds!!!

I really think you should apply to get this featured if you have not already! Streamers would probably LOVE it because it gives them a good high quality platformer game to play!

I do hope you’re planning on more worlds than this!

1 Like

Appreciate the kind words! I’m planning on making a total of 5 worlds, and I would definitely be super happy if this game was featured, however as @buildthomas said, there are some third party sounds and music pieces that need to be replaced.

I’m really glad you enjoyed it, though, it means a lot!

1 Like