Find Parts In Region3 With WhiteList not work anymore

Never know it does not work anymore, yes it still can detect a part, but the whitelist is not working. Now, what should I use? I will not provide code here you can try it yourself. Cuz this change affects my whole game like a lot

1 Like

It’s called scripting support for a reason. No code no help

1 Like

There’s no context so can’t provide a sound solution to your specific use case but if we’re addressing the grand scope here then I think you should look to GetPartBoundsInBox and OverlapParams. The former supersedes FindPartsInRegion3[x] and the latter allows you to modify how the spatial query is performed, including a FilterType property (which you’d be using Enum.FilterType.Whitelist for this).

EDIT: Wrong API name, link remains the same.

6 Likes

Well, it looks like the FindPartsInRegion3 functions are broken, they are deprecated after all and you shouldn’t be using them. Use workspace:GetPartBoundsInBox instead

1 Like

Sorry, I’m a bit salty cuz it cause me a lot of trouble, so here’s the code. Ignore the unnecessary stuff cuz some of them I used it in my game. It worked before, but today it just doesn’t work and I haven’t changed anything.

function combatHelp:GetEnemyInRegion(player, startVector, endVector, limit) --> tables contains other player HumanoidRootPart
	if limit == nil then
		limit = 20
	end

local all_players = Players:GetChildren()
	local all_players_character = {}
	for _, other_player in pairs(all_players) do
		if other_player ~= player then

local char = other_player.character
			if char then
				local hmr = char:FindFirstChild("HumanoidRootPart")
				if hmr then
					table.insert(all_players_character, hmr)
				end
			end

local NPCchar = {}
			for _, name in pairs(NPC_NAME) do
				if workspace:FindFirstChild(other_player.Name .. "%" .. name) then
					table.insert(NPCchar, workspace:FindFirstChild(other_player.Name .. "%" .. name))
				end
			end

if NPCchar then
				for _, v in pairs(NPCchar) do
					local hmr = v:FindFirstChild("HumanoidRootPart")
					if hmr then
						table.insert(all_players_character, hmr)
					end
				end
			end

end
	end

local region = Region3.new(startVector, endVector)
	local allPart = workspace:FindPartsInRegion3WithWhiteList(region, all_players_character, limit)
	return allPart
end

The allPart should be table value contain only other player humanoid root part in the game, but somehow it includes everything that inside the region (even tho I used whitelist) It just happen today, yesterday I tested with the same code and it worked fine. So, I guess it’s broken as @Judgy_Oreo said.

local players = game:GetService("Players")
local player = players.LocalPlayer
local character = player.Character or player.CharacterAdded:Wait()

local run = game:GetService("RunService")

local part = workspace:WaitForChild("Part")
local region = Region3.new(Vector3.new(part.Position.X - part.Size.X/2, part.Position.Y - part.Size.Y/2, part.Position.Z - part.Size.Z/2), Vector3.new(part.Position.X + part.Size.X/2, part.Position.Y + part.Size.Y/2, part.Position.Z + part.Size.Z/2))

run.RenderStepped:Connect(function()
	local regionParts = workspace:FindPartsInRegion3WithWhiteList(region, {character})
	for _, regionPart in ipairs(regionParts) do
		print(regionPart.Name)
	end
end)

It’s working fine on my end.

The script is only printing the names of descendants of the local player’s character model.

and here’s a server-side implementation:

local players = game:GetService("Players")
local run = game:GetService("RunService")

local part = script.Parent
local region = Region3.new(Vector3.new(part.Position.X - part.Size.X/2, part.Position.Y - part.Size.Y/2, part.Position.Z - part.Size.Z/2), Vector3.new(part.Position.X + part.Size.X/2, part.Position.Y + part.Size.Y/2, part.Position.Z + part.Size.Z/2))

local characters = table.create(players.MaxPlayers)

run.Heartbeat:Connect(function()
	for _, player in ipairs(players:GetPlayers()) do
		local character = player.Character
		if character then
			table.insert(characters, character)
		end
	end
	if #characters <= 0 then return end
	local regionParts = workspace:FindPartsInRegion3WithWhiteList(region, characters)
	for _, regionPart in ipairs(regionParts) do
		print(regionPart.Name)
	end
	table.clear(characters)
end)

This deprecated function definitely stopped working and broke my game’s lobby… I’ll be using @colbert2677 Solution via GetPartBoundsInBox

After replacing this function, my game completely came back to life… after days of optimizing to figure out why there was so much lag and and hangups in the processes that seemed to make no sense… I replaced all the deprecated spawn functions with coroutines, and the FindInRegionWithWhiteList with GetPartBoundsInBox and viola!!! my game is alive and working better than ever with all the optimizations I did.

Apparently, when using this function with 4 buses in my lobby with multiple queries to find players on the bus, there must be a new memory leak… a game I have published that had worked for months, suddenly started getting downvotes, when I realized it was broken, and it took days to figure out this was the actual problem. Thanks to everyone for their help.