First try at modelling guns (AK-47)

I’ve been modeling for some time now, and wanted to try out my skills on guns, now… most people would start out with pistols, but I wanted to try and make an AK47, I really don’t know much about guns, so I’m sorry if I missed something. I started making the low-poly version of AK47, and I’d love some feedback, critiques, and ways to improve on my modeling, and on this gun, as I’m not that familiar with guns as some people.

if you have any suggestions on what I should improve here, please let me know, I’m really just doing this for experience, however.

22 Likes

on your first of modelling this gun is not bad no mistake and also looking good for the first time modelling a gun. the texture no need to be changed and no improvement. I will give 10/10 because of your modelling a gun and also a perfect texture of the gun. but one thing I wanna tell you, do you working on the script and animation for the gun that can make the gun much more smooth for the animation and also function? by the way, I kinda like it. hopefully, you get this reply and reply it back to know that I want to share with you with the gun. so… I hope you get this reply.

3 Likes

I appreciate it, and as an animator, I personally never animated guns, I never worked with guns, but instead just swords and other low-poly objects, so this a new area for me that I’d like to get somewhat good at, thank you for the feedback, and as you said, I didn’t really make a texture, I just exported it as more meshes and made the texture and color work in studio because I wouldn’t say I’m good at texturing and it seems easier the way I did it, I’m sure some people will disagree with me here, but that’s just my opinion, thanks for taking time to patiently rate my first ever gun model! :smiley:

1 Like

The gun is a really nice try for the first time, the general shape is there however there is a clear lack of detail and some inprecisions when it comes to it’s real life counter part. It is important to study the object you are recreating to get a good understanding of how it will look the best. Also the flat material makes it really difficult to percieve the shape, try to mess around with texturing to create more depth to the weapon.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

as I said earlier, I’m not that good with textures, but I’ll definitely look back at what you said and try to make it more detailed, with the textures, thank you for the feedback! :grin:

2 Likes

Make the grey part have a texture and add some detail to the handle.

1 Like

thank you for the feedback, I mentioned this already, but I am not really that great with texturing and this is a low-poly kind of model, I also do know that I added more detail to some parts of guns than to the other, but thank you anyway, I appreciate you taking time to give feedback and help out! :grin:

1 Like

There isn’t much to say about it, it is good but you forgot to put the ejection port and the fire selector

1 Like

This looks very nice, I like it a lot and it seems very realistic. The only thing that looks off is the ammo cartridge. Other then that, it looks all good! Very epic, very cool.

1 Like

As this is your first model, I think you are doing exceptionally good and can tell that you will be making some high-quality models in the near future. In my opinion, I would make the guns magazine smoother, instead of being able to see those lines in it. Apart from that, I think you are doing very well at modelling, and if you continue, you will have a great future as a modeller in Roblox.

2 Likes

Try learning Hard Surface the professional way, it takes time to do simple shapes but in no time you can apply it to complex forms, and the Guns are usually not that complex, they just take time, try researching about Bevels and the best wayt to apply them.

1 Like

Yeah, just today I started working on an AWP and I’m using bevels to make the model just more smoother and nicer to look at. Thanks for the feedback! :smiley:

Thank you, I’ll definitely work on that! :smile:

yeah, I wasn’t going too much in detail, I’m sorry if that’s like a big part of the gun, like I said, I’m a little new to all this gun stuff, and I’m trying to blend in, thank you anyway! :grin:

Thank you, it means a lot to me, really! :grinning:

For a first shot, it looks fantastic! Keep the great work up!

1 Like

Thanks, I’ve actually been working on another gun (AWP) so… I might make another topic showcasing those 2 fully scripted! :smile:

It looks great! Everything looks spot on, even the textures. Keep up the great work!

1 Like

Feedback

I’m a bit late to provide information but here I go:

For echo everyone else, you have done a great job. Honestly, for a first-timer, you have impressed me. Now into the constructive criticism.

Okay, I’ll be here to help with with that. Analysing blueprints provided by Kalashnikov Industries and real life references you can get the general idea of the gun. You can just Google information for practical details but I acknowledge you’re a beginner in this field (modelling guns). The frame work is accurate through some textures and other details presented in the blueprints and reference images could make it even better.

Good luck with future endeavours!

2 Likes

Thanks, I was a little impressed by how I made it too, since guns aren’t really my thing, but I tried and it didn’t turn out bad, next time I’ll look after the details! Once again, thank you for everything. :grinning: