Fix for lighting glitch on far away parts?

Hello there!

I’ve been working on a showcase game and focusing on the lighting part of it, however I’ve found that when the character is in game the ceiling has no shadows, as if the in game lighting doesn’t have an effect.

As you can see above, it’s quite a bit lighter up there and by the front window there’s a clear line where the lighting splits from dark to light.

It really should look more like this on the top where in game shadows do effect the ceiling. This I took by actually traveling closer to the ceiling. And the visible division where light shadows meets dark (as seen in the other one) is not as noticeable.

Is there anyway to fix the lighting so that when in game and at character height the ceiling does have the right shadows and whatnot as seen in the second picture? I’ve looked around different forums and haven’t found a good answer yet. One post which had a problem a little bit different to mine recommended inserting humanoids into the model but that frankly looked bad and another post below it recommend not using humanoids.

My hunch is that the ceiling is too tall which might explain the rendering issue although I’m hoping I don’t have to completely rebuild the showcase in favor of a shorter ceiling so any help will be gladly accepted.

Thank you very much!

2 Likes

This isn’t really a glitch, more like an optimization for voxel lighting. Shadows and lights disappear as you get farther away from them. The method I used to counteract this issue is to use an opaque black neon part, however this isn’t going to work obviously. You may want to reduce OutdoorAmbient or just Ambient and see if that works.

2 Likes

What exactly do you mean by black neon opaque part? I’m not sure how that would fix lighting not loading in for farther away lights.

1 Like