Fixing The Develop Page

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to use the develop page efficiently.

So, here’s the thing right. The develop page, as a whole, needs a big fat overhaul.

1. Search:
    I think a search feature would be super useful. Why should I have to go to the developer library, search my item, and then input my name as the creator? Also, you can’t search for games/places easily through the games tab by just putting in the game name.

2. An Archive:
    Allowing users to mark things as “archived” when they are old and unwanted. This way nothing is truly deleted, but rather moved out of the way. The Archive should still have search functionality though to allow a user to dig something out of the archive and un-archive it. Also, this could be useful in archiving items that were deleted by Roblox. (Decals, etc)

3. Sorting:
    There needs to be more options for sorting than just “is active” and the default of most recently created. The search functionality is useful, but also it could be helpful to allow for sorting by most bought or most visits.

4. Places by Games:
    It would be super useful if places were foldered into the games they are from.

All of these places are in the same game universe, and I plan to have somewhere in the ballpark of 200 places in that game universe. If I didn’t have to scroll past all of them to get down to the other places, that’d be really cool. Just a quick like click of an arrow to compress them would be really nice.

5. Free Item/Sell Item From Develop Page:
    It’d be much easier to free models/decals or sell clothing from the develop page itself, rather than configuring each individual item. This would actually entice more users to free items more often because it’s not as much of a hassle to do it, then.

40 Likes

Does anyone else experience really bad load times on this page as well? It’s such a slow page for me that I actually dread any instance where I have to use it.

24 Likes

Definitely. It seems as though the larger footprint of groups & games you have yourself causes the larger loading times (kind of seems like an obvious statement, but its what really happens). Because I’m in a ton of groups w/ games to edit, and it takes me about 3 - 5 seconds to load the page sometimes…

2 Likes

What about the ability to move the order around? And getting the ability to create a place inside a game without having to make a blank game and move the start place to another game…

4 Likes

If you’re in studio, inside the game you want to put a place into, you can right click the places folder in the game explorer tab to add a new place to the game without having to create a whole new game to get a new place.

If you right click a place you also can modify it or whatever.

2 Likes

Yeah. I’ve noticed my decals page in particular is lagged to hell. Always thought that was just because I had a bad computer. But I’ve gotten a new (fairly beefy pc) and every page loads super quick except the develop pages.

We will be looking at the Develop Page soon. It’s a huge project, but there is clearly a lot wrong with how it is organized. Thank you for this Feature Request.

22 Likes

Thanks, my dude. It’s seriously like the only part of Roblox I find a bit of a hassle with. So, if I could like not, that’d be the best ever, of all time… Until Roblox implements a physics change again and ruins cars for a second time. :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you! I love this new Developer Relations transparency later regarding what may be being considered.

Can’t wait for whatever Roblox has planned in the future for this.

1 Like

I know this is pretty old know, but how Soon is Soon? Feels very familiar of the “iRacing Soon”.

iRacing%20Soon%20Clock

Searching – this functionality is now available from Studio!
Archiving – expect to be able to archive games by end of Q1 2019
Sorting – we already have some sorting options in Studio. If you want more options, would be good to elaborate which ones and what you will use them for.
Places by Games – this is more of a fundamental UX decision. For now we have chosen to have the developer choose the game and then select the place, but it is likely we will revisit this and allow you to select a specific place prior to opening the game. Not on any near term roadmaps though.

In general, our approach is more and more about moving functionality into Studio rather than maintaining both web and Studio implementations of what is essentially the same thing: an interface to manage your games. Note that we realize many developers want to manage their games on the go, and we will make sure critical functionality is available on phones and not just desktop.

2 Likes

Searching – Would still like to see this added to the develop page though. A little annoying, in my opinion, to wait for Studio to open just to search something to open into Studio. Not to mention if you want to open multiple things, you’d have to open multiple studio windows, wait for them to load up, and then search each thing.*

Archiving – Literally soooooooooo happy.

Sorting – Would be neat to sort things last updated, team create servers (when using this sort, teamcreate servers come to the top, and non-TC go to the bottom), and alphabetical sorting. Could help people find their things faster among all their items.

Also, to add to sorting, if we could use sorting on the “purchaseables” pages (T-Shirts, Shirts, Pants, Decals, Models) to have sorts such as most purchases, most purchases in the past 7 days, and alphabetical sorting, that’d be nice too.

Also, in the Group Creations Tab, if the select group list could be fixed to be alphabetical order, that’d be super appreciated.

*Not hugely supportive of this, to be honest.

1 Like

The develop page is basically being rolled out. It would be wasteful to update it when everything is being moved to Studio. I’d suggest changing the feature request so it applies to the new “Game Settings” in studio.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.