Flak cannon shrapnel glow effect

I’m trying to recreate the glowing projectile effect of the flak cannon from Unreal Tournament. See the video below for illustration.

So basically, I can make the shrapnel glow by using the neon material, but how do I get it to fade out like what is shown in the video? Any ideas or suggestions?

I do have a working flak cannon in my game which fires multiple projectiles per shot which have independent trajectories. I’m just trying to recreate an effect.

1 Like

A neon part fading out is made by tweening the transparency of the neon part, revealing the same part with a different material. I don’t understand what glow you’re talking about or at what timestamp it is.

The glow is right at the beginning of the video with the first two or three shots that are fired. You see glowing shrapnel leaving the gun, then the glow fades. I really didn’t want to use two parts because then I would have to rearchitect my code. I’ll play with a few things and see what I come up with.

I was able to approximate it in a different way by using only one part. By adding a point light and setting the color of the part to yellow, it creates a relatively accurate glowing effect. Then I used tween service to bring the light down to 0 and the color of the part to the base color. It seems to work quite well. So now the shrapnel looks like it leaves the gun hot and then cools off as it’s flying through the air.