Flat Meshes with only 2D Geometry are Invisible on Import

Reproduction Steps

Create a 2D plane in any modeling software, it does not matter how much geometry it has, it just needs to be flat. Then, export as .OBJ, then import as a meshpart in Roblox Studio.
(I am using the latest version of Studio, I first started encountering this bug before I had access to beta features.)
exhibit_2.obj (715 Bytes)
exhibit_1.obj (737 Bytes)

Expected Behavior

The mesh should be visible from one side, because of normals.

Actual Behavior

The mesh is entirely invisible, even when using the DoubleSided property.

Workaround

Ex. If I was working on importing a vehicle with 2D brake lights and encountered this issue, I would have to add extra geometry and make it a 3D or box-shaped mesh with more sides than needed, or add more geometry to curve it. I would also have to reimport the mesh, and rescale the vehicle if it was imported and resized to fit characters.

Issue Area: Studio
Issue Type: Display
Impact: High
Frequency: Often
Date First Experienced: 2020-08-01 00:08:00 (-04:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2022-10-25 00:10:00 (-04:00)

4 Likes

You may need to add another vertex, and possibly, another edge to the model to make it 3D. As long as you don’t create another face, it should mostly be fine. The only issue would be any inconvenience you would have with the Roblox object having extra thickness. I did this for a one-sided “cube” model. Meshes/1-sided Cube Att2 - Roblox

1 Like

Hi @Viewported, thank you for reporting this issue. A quick workaround would be to export your models as FBX files instead of OBJ since we have much better support for FBX file format. We used Blender to re-export your exhibit files as FBX and managed to import then into Studio without issues. We also recommend using the new 3D Importer, currently available in beta. Please, in Studio, you select File → Beta Features, and then toggle the option “New Mesh Importer”. After restarting Studio, the importer will appear in the Plugins tab.

4 Likes