Floating Point Reaching Very Early [ Under 10k studs ]

There seems to have been some change that makes parts reach a semi floating-point bug very early, which only happens after rotating the camera, either on the client or on the server.

This makes it very annoying when in first person with a gun, as every time you move your camera there will be random jittering.

I have tested this on a brand new fresh baseplate to ensure it is not some weird error with the team create place we are using, and the same effect occurs.

In the examples I’m going to provide the position is 2057.685, 112.985, -3275.223. Which is not that far away from 0, 0, 0, especially on a map for the game we are developing.

External Media External Media

And on a fresh baseplate at the same position

External Media

Expected behavior

The jittering should not occur, as far as I’m aware this has never happened before at such a low deviation in studs from 0,0,0. This is a clip in the same place but right near 0, 0, 0, where you can see the bug no longer occurs.

External Media

Not sure if the same thing causing this bug causes the following but I thought I’d add on anyways that a similar thing happens when you export a model as an .obj file.
At 2057.685, 112.985, -3275.223.

At 0, 0, 0

3 Likes

Hey there! Thanks for reporting this. We’re curious if you happen to have a sense of when this jittering started to occur? And also if you don’t mind, can you share your repro files, like the one on the baseplate?

Hello, I’m not quite sure exactly when this started to occur as we only noticed this while working on a new scope system, but most likely a few days ago, as before this was not an issue to my knowledge.

BugRepo.rbxl (69.0 KB)
Also included the same set up part for the scope in the clips.

Hey there. It looks like there aren’t any scrips in your repro file, so we’re unable to scope like you’re demonstrating in your videos. Do you mind attaching a repro file where we can reproduce exactly what you’re doing to demonstrate the jittering? If you’re worried about revealing scripts to the public, please take a look at How to post a Bug Report, specifically the section on Reproduction Files, for how to send a repro file with potentially private content.

Hello,

It’s not a script related issue causing this, it happens when you move your camera around, you can try it with freecam or just by getting very close to the objects in first person. If for whatever reason you still need the scripts please let me know.

Thanks for the info. I played around with your test case a little bit more, now knowing that you’re using the freecam, and I am able to reproduce what you’re seeing. However, after talking to various people about this, it seems like the general consensus is that this is to be expected when one is zoomed in that close to an object that is that far from the origin. If you’d like to discuss this in more detail, I can try and loop in more appropriate staff members to chat with you.

I am experiencing this even with 70 FoV, at a mere distance of 3000 studs. I’m not sure this is intended. This did not happen until a few days before OP made this post…

All you have to do is walk up to a wall and stare at it while close to it. You don’t need any zoom for this.

^ A distance like this is sufficient to see the walls shaking abnormally.

Even the character has shaking. For large maps, this is a very big problem and very jarring visually.