Flying Exploit Detection

So im currently working on a Anti-Cheat and trying to do Fly Detection but it doesn’t seem to being setting off when a exploiter try flying exploit.

Here is what the code of the detection is right now

2 Likes

this issue wont fix your problem but this isnt really an anti-exploit because your doing on the client, this could easily be done on the server.

1 Like

Pretty sure StateChanged set by the client won’t replicate, only the physical movement of the character does because they have NetworkOwnership. Having this in the Client isn’t always a bad thing as long as it isn’t your main primary source to getting rid of exploiters.

(correct me if i’m wrong)

1 Like

You shouldn’t be making any exploit detection on the client due to exploiters being able to just simply remove it. If your making it on the client its safe to say that you’ve wasted your time.

4 Likes

Not all exploiters are that smart, as long as you have a good secure server there’s nothing wrong with putting anything on the client to help even more.

This has been discussed through threads and threads so I’m just going to leave it at that.

5 Likes

It only takes one smart person to share a bypass for your client side anti exploits before everyone is using it

3 Likes

If I were to do that, I’d probably follow this flow:

--[[
1. Keep checking whether the character is in air through Humanoid.FloorMaterial or Humanoid:GetState()
2. Raycast down the global Y axis and obtain the distance of the ground from the character
3. Apply some old physics to see in how long the character should reach the ground 
4. When the time comes, check if the character is still in air (so people don't get detected for jumping
]]

But this is all theoretical and I’m sure there are surer and better ways out there :smile:

5 Likes

My goal is to make it more server side but im just trying to get the main elements of the script down so i can make the server sided one nice and clean.

I personally check the floor material every .2 seconds, raycast downward and then i calculate the average height. If their average height is above 100 for example then it will give them a strike. If they get three strikes they get the boot.

1 Like

One thing you should also check for is if the player is not sitting. Because if someone is flying in a(n) airplane or helicopter, they could get caught flying.

Easily circumventable and can produce false positives based on your game. In terms of circumventing it, you can just fly at 99 studs or lower. In terms of false positives, non-exploiting clients can meet the requirements needed to get flagged. False positives are bad for UX. Don’t kick, place them at an appropriate location.

There are ways to stop fly exploits but this isn’t one. Remember that clients are authoritative of the physics of their characters. You need to take this into account when handling movement-based exploits.

1 Like

Actually, a lot of exploiters just spam the jump state. It used to be “sit then jump,” now it’s just jump a lot. I managed to recreate this script.

local Humanoid = --get the humanoid OR ELSE >:(((

Humanoid.Jumping:Connect(function()
    Humanoid:ChangeState(Enum.HumanoidStateType.Jumping)
end)

Here’s what I do. Raycast downwards with some random scatter a fixed amount times after every interval of a certain amount of time. If none of the rays hit the floor for a few seconds punish the player.

Be careful about false positives — you should let some exploiters get away with it so you don’t punish laggy players.

Also nothing client sided can be trusted. Humanoid values like jumppower, walkspeed, state, can’t be trusted and some don’t even replicate.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 1 hour unless flagged)

The Flying state of the humanoid does not literally mean the Humanoid is flying. Read this documentation: https://developer.roblox.com/en-us/api-reference/enum/HumanoidStateType

I go over anticheats in my article here: How you should secure your game - A beginner guide for secure networking and developing anticheats

The way I would go about detecting flight is using the Humanoid.FloorMaterial property from the server.

This allows you to tell if the Humanoid is not standing on anything, and if so you can check each RunService.Stepped if their acceleration is decreasing. (Acceleration is the difference in velocity each frame, so each frame you want to make sure their upward acceleration is decreasing)

You can even go a step further and check if the player is following physics by using f = ma (accelerationOfGravity = workspace.Gravity * rootPart:GetMass()). You can then check if the acceleration is too far away from the acceleration of gravity. (E.g. each axis is more than 5 studs away).

Note than when a player jumps their final Y Velocity reaches their JumpPower before they begin falling again.

4 Likes

Not sure if this is what you mean, but the acceleration caused by gravity is always constant. I see you are using the equation f = ma with the code accelerationOfGravity = workspace.Gravity * rootPart:GetMass(). In reality, this code actually represents the equation f=gm which is simply the force caused by gravity; aka normal force.

The actual acceleration is constant; this can be proved with f=ma; a=f/m; a=mg/m; therefore a=g.

If you want to verify if the player is obeying the laws of physics just use a=f/m. During freefall, the players acceleration will simply be workspace.Gravity. To estimate the players acceleration, you need to calculate the derivative of a players velocity.

2 Likes

What if you have admin in your game?And you do for example, “:Fly me” .Would you get banned/kicked/sent to banland place?

Most flying exploits use some type of BodyForce, Gyro, etc. Try detecting that.

Pointless. If the client creates it, then the instance is only going to exist client-side. Suggesting checking for these instances (which exploiters don’t need in order to exploit physics) implies client-side checks which are inadequate for this case. It can be bypassed easily as it is.

Any good security model employs the server to either sanity check what the client is doing or grant it permission to take action. Client-side security is if you’re looking for extra measures, despite acknowledging the risk that comes along with adding them.

That’s correct thank you haha. Dunno how I managed that.

1 Like