Folder missing from the published/saved versions of the game

During a collaborative editing session in Roblox studio one of our developers reported that everything we edited was missing from the published game.

Naturally, I reverted the game to a previous version to see if it was a mistake.
However, I noticed that all versions of the game including versions where we were editing and publishing updates live.
Were all missing a folder we were editing called ‘Workspace_Stuff’

I found that Roblox had failed to sync the existence of the Workspace_Stuff folder in all versions of the game published after version 10642 August 11, 2024 at 8:39AM JST.
The entire time we were editing since that point, studio repeatedly told us it successfully published, it successfully auto saved.
But as I mentioned before. The game did not save the folder we were editing.
This was extremely bizarre and distressing, all work we did that day since then has been lost.

My beta features enabled were:

• Aerodynamics
  • Assistant Preview
  • Dragger QoL Improvements
  • EditableImage and EditableMesh
  • Face Capture
  • Live Animation Creator
  • Material Generator
  • Multilayer Wrap Fix
  • New Audio API
  • New Base Materials
  • New Studio Camera Controls
  • Scripts Are Non-Strict By Default
  • Simulation Pause and Step
  • Texture Generator
  • Updated Roblox Controls
  • Video Uploads

Information that might be relevant.:

• One of the developers attempted to playtest, and noted the file was missing in the playtesting version of the game. We are usure if trying to playtest caused the issue or if he happened to playtest right after the issue started.
  • We seemed to randomly experience issues with the undo feature not working at all randomly (all developers, not just one developer/device)

The game/place we were editing is:
https://create.roblox.com/dashboard/creations/experiences/4012265853/places/11248958160

Expected behavior

While editing an experience in studio, if Roblox says it is published or auto saves. The experience should not be failing to save or omitting the file/object the developers are working on.
Everything else saved,

Edit:
Also, the undo feature should undo the last action/movement done in Roblox studio, without randomly skipping/ignoring some actions/movements.

This issue was so bizarre and unexpected I’m not sure how to better describe it.
:bowing_woman:t2: Thank you.

4 Likes

Thanks for the report, we most likely need more information to look further. It is on our radar and will be reaching out to you shortly.

Did you by any chance accidentally toggle the Archivable property off, having this property disabled not only disables the ability to Clone the instance but also disables the ability for the instance to save in saved / published versions of the place.

That might make sense, except I do not believe any of us toggled archivable for the entire folder, and none of us selected or ever needed to select the folder while editing the objects inside of it within workspace.

None of us have ever needed to disable the archivable property during any of our sessions over the last few years.

While checking all of the previous versions of the games version history I went one version at a time to find out where/when the issue started.
The last version of the game with the folder to save was during a time when I was present. with one other developer who went into playtest mode, and reported the folder was missing.

Also, it wouldn’t explain the other issues that appeared in studio around that time where we were unable to undo certain actions or object movements randomly. It seemed like studio in general was bugging out for all of us during the session and we aren’t sure why.

If we cannot get any further help or explanation on this, although it may be disappointing. I will be content with telling the other developers one of them must have toggled archivable on accident somehow and that the other bugs were a coincidence and move on with development.

Thank you for your insight/idea Abcreator. :bowing_woman:t2:

Alright, the behavior (regarding the folder not being in any of the games versions after 10642) is similar to an object not being archivable according to @Abcreator in This Reply.
If you can confirm that either

:a: : This would somehow make Roblox studio’s undo function stop working randomly for objects within the folder.

or

:b: : The undo failure issue is a known separate issue.

Then I would be willing to assume another developer somehow found their way to the folder and accidentally found their cursor on archivable and accidentally clicked it. Marking this as Solved.
Since there is no way to prove another developer didn’t do all of this on accident.
I wouldn’t be stubborn and waste Roblox’s time and resources as long as either A or B can be verified.

Thank you for your time. :bowing_woman:t2: