Folders for images in the Asset Manager

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to …

Manage dozens of images easily from the Asset Manager (or game explorer if not using the Beta feature) I have projects with a ton of images in them, and it can be a nightmare to sort through them easily. Having the ability to create folders and sort the images this way would make it a lot easier to go through a bunch of images at once.

This could also potentially allow for multiple images with the same name? As another problem is having multiple different images with the same name results in

Image (1)
Image (2)
etc…

Which looks bad. For example, if I have a ‘Backing’ but multiple backings for different frames, I have to do

Shop Backing
Inventory Backing
Cash Backing
Settings Backing
etc…

And implementing folders could easily fix this issue, with something like so

Shop [Folder]
    - Backing [Image]
Inventory [Folder]
    - Backing [Image]
Cash [Folder]
    - Backing [Image]
Settings [Folder]
    - Backing [Image]

And then inside each individual could be assets that relate to that specific folder and use case.

And a simple change to how the image is referenced, from

rbxgameasset://Images/[Image]

to

rbxgameasset://Images/[Folder]/[Image]

Quick example of one of the games I’m working on and how crowded/unorganised it looks.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because…

Who doesn’t love organised projects?

22 Likes

I strongly agree with you. Unity’s Project Asset menu is a great example of how this facilitates development on their platform.

Unfortunately, during my Accelerator in 2018, Roblox Engineers said they have no plans to edit image/asset uploading and managment.

7 Likes

This has always been an important update and I don’t understand why it hasn’t been done yet.

It’s very hard to disagree with this. Organization is cruical when working with hundreds, or even thousands, of different meshes, decals, sounds, etc.

2 Likes