For beginners! How to get the best graphics from your roblox game!

Hello There Beginner Developers!

This is my first post on the developer forum, in which I will show you how to get good graphics on your game like this!

So what do you think? Shall we begin?
Just a few things you should know before we get started!

• Don’t go too far with graphics since it could cause very high lag for low tier computers!
• If the image above is too bright you can check out the “Properties” for each element of lightning
• You can customize the settings yourself which means you don’t have to follow my steps.
• I use a JailBreak Palm Free model which is not required but I just think it looks really nice!

First of all, we need to make a place. If you already have one you can skip this step :slight_smile:,
but if you haven’t, you can start by creating a baseplate. (Highly recommended as you can remove the baseplate easily!)

After go to “View” and select the Explorer!
(Properties will be needed as well so select that as well)

Next go to lightning and select it.

You will see new windows will appear, in this window you can modify how your game will look!

If it is not already I recommend to change your Technology to “ShadowMap” as that will create a nice shadow effect!
Here is Voxel VS ShadowMap

Voxel:

ShadowMap:

As you can see that changed a lot of graphics related stuff!

Next, look for the “EnvironmentSpecularScale” part.

Step 2 (2)

If you scroll up the bar you might notice that the ground is getting a bit of a metallic color…
I’d recommend to put it to 0.73 but as I said before you can customize to your liking!
This is something that Jailbreak uses! As you can see below, jailbreak has very nice shadows and effects applied to their game.

Its not really seen at night but if you look at the ground you can see how its looking kinda metallic!
(You can check for yourself to see how jailbreak’s lights look).

After you are done with that, you can insert some elements in lightning!
Search up “SunRays” and insert it into lightning.
And look at that! If you put your clock time to 17:00:00 you will see the change better!
If it is too bright, make sure to lower the “Intensity” in the Properties tab.

(Optional) We are almost done… Now, go to your studio settings and change your graphics level!

The higher the level the better it looks but will cause greater lag!

Oh and I almost forgot, don’t forget to add some atmosphere as that is also a very good addition!
(Add the “Sky” to Lightning first for it to work!)
Then build some terrain together with the Decoration ticked! and you will see grass on your terrain!

Result

So here are the effects that we spent 10 minutes working on!

For anyone that wants the place to modify or use for themselves you can get it below:
TutorialPlace.rbxl (163.3 KB)

I hope this helped for the new developers that are seeking to create a very beautiful game with good graphics! Sorry if something didn’t work, I will reply to any problems that you may have! :smile:

Tell me how I did below so I can improve on my next posts!

• Well written!
  • Good, but explain more :confused:
  • Please improve!
  • Too long for a post like this!
  • I didn’t understand anything!

0 voters

As @so1ehee suggested you can also mess with the “Ambient” to get a better look for your game!

Color examples:
• Choose a red color for scary / horror games!
• Choose a Light-blue color for a cold game

32 Likes

You can modify the brightness in the lightning section. It should just be called “Brightness” and is probably set to 2

1 Like

I know Im talking about the sun. That would 100% hurt my eyes in a game

1 Like

Oh for that all you need is just to go to the SunRays element and lower the “Intensity”

1 Like

Play around with ambient gonna make the graphic look more better than default one

5 Likes

I agree with you on this one. The ambient can be different for certain types of games. For example, a horror game can have a dark-red looking color to show you that the game you are playing is a horror game. Thanks for telling me!

2 Likes

Very easy to understand, thanks!

3 Likes

Really useful, Thanks!
Well if Future is Bright Phase 3 is released, maybe you should edit the post to use Future lighting!

1 Like

I will, I hope Roblox releases an awesome update for the lightning. Roblox has come very far in graphics so Bright Phase 3 is just the thing.

2 Likes

You should also play around with Depth of field effects too!

1 Like

Depth of field sometimes doesn’t really fit too much in some cases, If I do use depth of field, I usually set the settings at almost minimum. But its up to you if you really do want it in your game. :+1:

1 Like