For builders - how important is symmetry to you?

tbh symmetry can be important sometimes, but sometimes too much symmetry can take away from the realism or creative freedom in a build.

3 Likes

Cheers for the responses so far. I’m usually a “perfectionist” when I build and it gets on my nerves horribly if there’s even a little bit of erroring with my builds. Examples:

• Tile-pattern ceiling. I end up with a tile smaller than the rest because it won’t fit otherwise.
  • Float point errors, even ones that you can’t see and won’t matter later.

Time to change my style.

2 Likes

Symmetry is always important in the way of building something because it is the guide to professionalism after seeing that your construction is straight, formal. or correct in its sides, just also worry about what you create and how you will create it.
all have experienced having done wrong a street in many places, times. obviously it has to be calculated telepathically or mathematically so you can make it correctly, i usually do it telepathically and yeah it works with my style while using symmetry

2 Likes

Symmetry is very important to me when making a building. I always try to keep the number of studs on a brick as a whole number. It prevents thing from looking uneven and keeps the object from looking sloppy and half-you-know-what.

For example, say I’m building a ceiling: I’d make it around 50 studs long. After that, I’d make each light around 2 studs long. Put the light 2 studs away from the ceiling, and then start plotting down a light every 2 studs on the ceiling after the light. Then BAM! A perfect, symmetrical ceiling. I wouldn’t have it any other way :))

Otherwise, I’m making terrain, I eye it out.

2 Likes

it honestly depends on what I’m building. On the whole, i believe symmetry is something that all builders will worry about at some point in their journey of developing. I sometimes get so stressed when trying to make something symmetrical as sometimes in blender the mirroring tool i use is unreliable. :joy:

2 Likes

Honestly, I love symmetry but I am not the kind that gets the calculator out to calculate offsets etcetera.
I do it based on the looks, reality isn’t perfect. I think not being perfect can help a lot in realism.

1 Like

I don’t consider symmetry an absolute must, sometimes symmetry completely ruins the feel of the building by making it look a bit too perfect, so it depends on what you’re building.

1 Like

Really is depends on what you wish to build. With symmetry, it’s important with some instances. If you’re going to create a car, you would try your best to make it as symmetric as possible. If you wish to create a house, it isn’t necessary to make it all symmetric.

1 Like

Depends on the build. Some builds look great with symmetry some look fantastic with asymmetry.

1 Like

I get stress every time something isn’t symmetrical, but that’s just me.

1 Like

This can be an easy fix!
I was taught a way to fix a situation like this! Here is a great example!
This is an instance for fencing, but same concept
-Get the length
-Minus width of post
-Divide length by how many posts you want
So if the length is 14.5 studs, minus the 0.25 stud width of post
That will equal to 14.25, and if say, you wanted 5 or so posts, divide that 14.25 by ONE LESS of how many posts you desire, and answer is your increment. (3.5625)
5 posts desired → divide the 14.25 by 4!

4 Likes

Interesting solution, except I work with neither F3X or decimal points below the second space (0.00).

Decimal points because eventually every half of 1 stud will have many decimals, but they are easy to remember.

Things being even are easier for the eyes.

1 Like

@colbert2677

Symmetry is very important especially when you hit ‘Duplicate’ and try to match both sides without having to do it one part at a time. It’s very important to understand that everything you make, do and believe in makes sense for other people to understand what their seeing. It’s very important to understand that everything you build has to make sense to the people. Because, you can be the greatest builder ever, but if you make something that only makes sense to yourself, doesn’t matter how good you are, nobody will understand.

Now back to symmetry, its crucial that you know what you are building, if you are building, lets say a laboratory. How does a laboratory look like? All the same right? Well, thats the idea here for symmetry. It all depends on your idea and your build, nobody will understand it better than yourself. So, if your building a laboratory instead of a jungle, then symmetry is crucial and vital to your build, but if your building or creating a jungle, you can go ballistic and add anything you want and make it look asymmetric because, honestly thats how it is in a jungle, you don’t know whats lurking around 2 inches ahead of you.

1 Like

Another solution is to build half of the model, then use Build V4’s symmetry tool to get the other perfect half.

1 Like

Everything I do must be symmetrical unless directly specified. I build trains and some diesel locomotives have this large dynamic brake housing on the left side but on the right is just an elevated step.

1 Like

To me, symmetry is nearly as important as building itself. This is the case with many of the projects I have made, without symmetrical calculations or precision, you will have to deal with problems such as shortcomings of space, sometimes even having to re-do an entire build just because things aren’t symmetrical.

While making this old build, I was calculating nearly every model I would make, so it wouldn’t end up ruining the entire room.

6 Likes

To me it depends on what im making and for who im making it.

1 Like

I find that symmetry is great for man-made objects, such as buildings or vehicles. When it comes to organic objects, such as trees and bushes, a more randomised approach usually works best for me.

However, I wouldn’t obsess over making sure everything is pixel perfect. If you think your builds are pleasing to the eye, chances are you’re right. Everyone has their own style.

2 Likes